No Love

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arwenelfmaiden, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Arwenelfmaiden

Arwenelfmaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Arwenelfmaiden

Thank you for you're sound advise. The success I hope for is to learn more everyday about my 6 girls, to be the best human they could have caring for them & that they are happy so they will lay eggs for me. That's my reward, if I so I deserve. [​IMG]

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Overrun With Chickens

You're very welcome, @Arwenelfmaiden ! My own efforts have just recently been rewarded since nearly all of those "babies" are now laying white, tan, pink, blue, green, terra cotta red, and dark chocolate eggs for me. [​IMG]

-Alex

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. JEsqueda

JEsqueda Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2015
    Ha! I understand the sentiment [​IMG]

If it is any comfort, my girls will ALL let me touch, pet, and cuddle them the day they started to lay, and not a day sooner. Those who have yet to go into lay want nothing to do with me, other than running over to eat the treats I have to offer.

I'm not super into chicken cuddling, but being able to physically pick up your hen occasionally certainly has made life a bit easier around here! [​IMG]

5. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    Quote:Quick, someone breed those! I've GOT to have one...haha! :jumpy Seriously, though, I am glad to be of encouragement, Arwenelfmaiden. It is apparent to me that you are a wonderful, caring chicken mom and that your girls are blessed to have a home with you. Best wishes!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Arwenelfmaiden

FORTUNATE, LOVING OWNERS-YOU ARE BLESSES, MY FRIEND[​IMG]

7. Arwenelfmaiden

8. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Two points, 1. Almost all chickens go thru what I call a teenage phase where you are just the one who buys food and supply the cell phone. This will end about the time they start laying. 2. A chased chicken is a flighty chicken. No prey animal see's being chased as a good thing. If they didn't have the run when being chased instinct there wouldn't be any chickens left. Sit down with treats and let them come to you.
    My girls get the heels off the bread, but if they want some they have to come to me. I don't pick them up or try to pet them but they will sit on the back porch steps and tell me about their day. They trust me, some more than others. That's just chickens.

1 person likes this.
  9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

LOL... That about sums it up... :D

1 person likes this.
  10. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    Huh, now that you mention it, my 5 pullets totally went through that "flighty" phase!! I was also feeling a little bummed that they weren't more friendly, but they have just continued to settle down after they started laying. They are right about 8 months old now, and while a couple (my EE and my white rock) are still not really cuddly, my barred rock jumps onto my lap at every opportunity.
    Course, when they were being really standoffish, I started bribing them with real live meal worms from petsmart [​IMG] now, even the ones that don't like being picked up will let me pet them and come running just on the off chance I've got goodies!

Edited because I can't spell [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by