No luck w/Eggs....trying agian

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlove2009, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    I have tried three batches of eggs this year already and all have died.

#1: 11 eggs - 8 died - day five - ish - 3 lived until day 18

#2: 22 eggs (from bycers) - all died 10 ish

#3: 17 eggs - 12 made it to day 16

The first batch I was trying to do w/o a turner and crazy hours for school, with a broken thermometer.

The second everything was brand new - some of the eggs had moving airsacs (never had this before) - completely my fault

The third I had a thermometer that was SEVEN degrees off - I adjusted my temperature and I think that is what killed most of them.

Interstingly enough I also found mold just on the inside of the airsac of one egg ( it had recently died)

I just started my fourth batch of eggs yesterday night. Also, from a BYCer - Countrybum. I won them in a contest that she held about a week ago.

All arrived in perfect condition. I put three of mine in with hers. All are numbered/ the temp is perfect/ the humidity is sitting around 60.

All is well....... I will update and add pictures through out the process...

Wish me luck I am going to need it.

2. DALBERT

DALBERT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Gosh. You get A+ for determination. I wish you luck. Did you kiss the eggs before you put them in? I was told this helps! [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] fingers crossed for a good hatch!

5. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    You might want to lower your humidity for the first 18 days. My last batch, I had 4 die (out of seven) because the humidity was too high. I am trying this batch at 40% for day 1-18, and 55-60% for the last three days. I think that will work better. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    you sound like me. I put mine in again yesterday. It just comes sooo easy to some and others (like us) have to struggle with it. But I'm with you on the determination front. This time I have turkeys in too! I really really really want these to hatch because I believe I have Jersey giant/ frizzle cross, Barred rock/frizzle cross in there. If I ever get a green egg from my blue EE I KNOW it will be half Frizzle. My little frizz seems to be quite umm...determined to have children with a few of my hens! What a nut he is!

You and I will have to compare notes throughout. I will keep my fingers crossed for you if you do for me [​IMG]

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Okay chickenlove, I have had an excellent hatch rate on my eggs. My temp about 99.5 to 100*. I keep the water filled in the bottom of the incubator at all times. During the last 4 days I add extra water and sponges.

Yes, please let me know how it goes, I am sure excited to find out how they do when shipped. They were collected and warmly packed the evening before shipping and the broodies sat on them until I got home.

By the way, glad to hear they were all in good condition, after we shook the box and threw it around to see if anything moved inside. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will be watching the post. Let us know how it looks after 7 days.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

chickenlove you keep at it and when your chicks hatch you will be on cloud 9 for sure. My first two tries crashed as well but the last few have been great. Once you get over that hill you will have more chicks than you will know what to do with. It is addictive!

9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I hope you have a great hatch!!! I also think you should try for a bit lower humidity but everyone has a different opinion on that subject. I usually do 25%-40% first 18 days and have been having good luck.

10. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    around 30%0 days 1 - 17 and then increase to 55% for days 18 - 22, I go up to 25 days, anything after goes out with the trash. It is a temp precaution for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by