No more brooder for me....

Love ours!! We have a Marans that goes broody with the moon like clockwork!! I also have an Australorp that has gone broody once in her first season, so we'll see about next year. I have two new cochins and a silkie/cochin cross to also help with brooding next year. I will NEVER use a box again. They are such a pain!! It's so much easier to keep several breeds that tend towards broody than to keep chicks under a lamp and clean that box every day.

Nope my breeds that hop on eggs as soon as they see 6 or more are mixed australorp or mixed barred rock.... dads an americana mix...

Are you separating the momma and babies from the rest of the flock? The several times I've had broodies raise their own, a few of their chicks inevitably get killed and/or eaten by other adult chickens.

My broody with chicks is out with the flock. Anyone she doesn't like comes near she silkie ninja kicks them. Only the cockerel or her buddies can come by. The cockerel feeds them and reinforces mamas orders to get away.

My flock is pretty laid back and accepting of additions, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom