No more brooder light

Are you using it as a heat source also? If not you can turn it off anytime, chicks do not need to have lights on 24 hours a day.
x2. My chicks don't get artificial lighting so they're on regular day/night hours from the start. If yours have had light at night up to this point, they'll be upset that it's gone and probably scream for while, but they'll get over it.

Are you using it as a heat source also? If not you can turn it off anytime, chicks do not need to have lights on 24 hours a day.
yes i use it as a heat source, my chicks are 5 weeks old already but some still have a bit of down still on them. they still like to go under the lamp and sun tan a bit. i just didnt't know if it was ok to turn it off.

yes i use it as a heat source, my chicks are 5 weeks old already but some still have a bit of down still on them. they still like to go under the lamp and sun tan a bit. i just didnt't know if it was ok to turn it off.
At 5 weeks, if they're all healthy and active they should be fine without heat in moderate/warmer climates like yours.

Your chicks will need a source of heat until they are feathered in, probably a little bit longer than now, depending on how warm it is where you are. A lot of people use a red bulb or a heat source that's not a light bulb, that allows the chicks to have natural day and night lighting.

I would also recommend when you do start turning it off not suddenly turning it off after dark, but while it is still light out, allowing them to have a natural Twilight so that they get a chance to find their way to where they roost or sleep.

Back
Top Bottom