No more eggs after worming, Why?

jstinsmommy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
I have a bantam gold laced Wyandotte, and a bantam Columbian Wyandotte. I wormed them for the first time last April (2013), and they were both just over a year old then maybe 14 months. After that I have not gotten another egg since from the gold laced. And the Columbian was scattered for a while then maybe I would get one every two or three days. Now the Columbian goes broody quite a bit, and now they are molting so I am sure that isn't going to help things. Any thoughts on maybe something I can give them to jumpstart their egg laying? And when I wormed them they had a tape worm so I used a product recommended from BYC called valbazean. but I used a smaller dose on my bantys since they are smaller. Any thoughts??

Several possibilities come to mind...either they still have some worms, not necessarily tapes though, or they have some other problem. Did you do a follow-up dose to break the worm life cycle? Tapeworms are very difficult to get rid of I have learned from reading dawg53's posts on BYC. If you find yourself needing advice on worming for tapes, either search for his posts or ask for help (or PM him). He is just fabulous!

Check for mites/lice (treat your coop for red mite just in case).

What are you feeding them? Could they need a higher protein feed? Too many treats?

Are they afraid in the coop of predators?

The wormers are hard on hens, and definitely I notice decreased laying after I worm them...but that was a long time ago that you wormed them, eh?

Last edited:
Some good thoughts. Actually the worming that we did was based on what dawg53 had told us. He is super informative. So I did do the second dose of wormer. I dust my girls and the coop lightly with Sevin dust and clean the coop every weekend. I watch for nights but have never noticed any. As for the feed it is the basic feed they have in the local farm supply store. We have never had any predator issues. I live in a city so there aren't too many of those where I live. It's very strange.

Some good thoughts. Actually the worming that we did was based on what dawg53 had told us. He is super informative. So I did do the second dose of wormer. I dust my girls and the coop lightly with Sevin dust and clean the coop every weekend. I watch for nights but have never noticed any. As for the feed it is the basic feed they have in the local farm supply store. We have never had any predator issues. I live in a city so there aren't too many of those where I live. It's very strange.
If you were planning on doing another worming it might be a good idea to take a stool sample to the vet and see if there are any worms and what type you are dealing with. Worming can be hard on the chickens system. Also try adding plain yogurt to their diet. You mention you dust the chickens and the coop with sevin...is that every week? If so that is a lot of pesticide for those chickens.

Thank you so much. I will try adding yogurt. Do I add it every day ? And do I mix tin their food or just on a tray on the ground for them? And sorry about that. I should have clarified. I clean the coop every weekend but only use the dust about once a month.

I give my 5 girls plain yogurt about twice a week. I don't measure it, but It am guessing it is around 1/2 cup. Sometimes I just put it in a small bowl,and give it to them like that or I sometimes mix in some cooked quinoa and add a clove of minced garlic, or mix it with a cup of (thawed) mixed veggies.

Back
Top Bottom