no more eggs? update! an egg

clintwilson59

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
blanchard, louisiana
The other day, Monday I think, I found a duck egg so I took it and threw it in The bator. My mallard hen hasn't laid since. This is her first year to lay. I know she isn't hiding them because I've looked every where in the pen. Any ideas of why she is no longer laying?

Last edited:
When they first start to lay it may take a while to get into a proper laying pattern. I would have waited to put the egg in the incubator until you had cracked a few to see if they were fertile. Then i would have waited til I had a few eggs laid and then put them all in at once. I am sure your hen if not hiding the eggs will get into a better pattern of laying soon.

Well i am borrowing the bator so when i found the egg i figured it wouldnt hurt to try cause it would probaly be my only chance for a while. it is fertile, i've been candling it and now its on day 7.

You are lucky that it is fertile. Usually the first 2 weeks of a duck that has never layed before are useless. They are usually of poor quality then it comes to fertility.

I guess she just needed a hint!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom