No more free ranging

Kathyskoop8

Hatching
May 19, 2020
I had 8 chicken that we got as baby chicks in March and also realized that 2 are roosters. We would let them out of their coop during the day with no issues. Yesterday when I went out to lock them up for the night I realized that 4 were missing we found 2 that something had killedšŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢ and never found the other two, heartbreaking!! My first question is Iā€™m keeping the 4 in the coop now of course and I feel bad for them because they are use to roaming and eating in the grass. The floor is mostly dirt should I put something on the ground in the run for them to peck at and my second question is I now have 2 hens and 2 roosters is that ok? I included a picture to see size of coop.(before it was completed)

Attachments

• 9742E99E-8DB1-4FE7-B3B4-150CC178A92C.jpeg
    9742E99E-8DB1-4FE7-B3B4-150CC178A92C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
i dunno..... you could make or get a covered run..... thats too small.... and i would get more chickens or get rid of one of your roos.... sorry about your loss:hugs

Due to predators my chickens can not free range. Once a day I toss some meal worms in the run and once a day I put some grass clippings in the run.

Two cockerels for 2 hens is way too many cockerels. As the hormones start to kick in as your cockerels get older, your cockerels may get into some nasty fights. Also, 2 pullets and 1 cockerel is too much. The cockerel will over breed the hens. Bare backs and hens that are upset and stressed and not laying well will be the result.

Depending on the predators in your area, that chicken wire may not keep the predators away for long. Chicken wire is meant to keep chickens in, not predators out. Raccoons would have no trouble ripping through that chicken wire. Don't forget to put an apron around the outside of your run. That will keep predators from digging into the run.

I would be easier if you could give us the measurements. Replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth. You already have a predator who know you have chickens. Theyll be back. Also, too many roos. I'm in the camp that a good ration is 5-10 hens per rooster. Any less and I feel like you may end up with overbred, unhappy girls.

The floor is mostly dirt should I put something on the ground in the run for them to peck at

If it stays dry and it doesn't stink you don't have to. They will take dust baths in there and peck at the dirt to get grit. They would rather be out roaming but they will be OK in there.

If you want to put something on the ground you can. It should not hurt anything. That might be a good candidate to turn the run into a compost pile, they'd really enjoy that. If that wood down low is not treated having compost next to it will rot it. Something to think about. You could put some type of shield around the base.

and my second question is I now have 2 hens and 2 roosters is that ok?

No. I don't believe in magic ratios or anything like that but in that tiny space you are asking for nothing but trouble.

Free ranging is always a risk, especially in such a wide open area with insufficient cover. Build something bigger and sturdier (hardware cloth like others have suggested). Try to get rid of the cockerels and maybe get another female or two. The two remaining girls will be fine on their own, but two is just such a risky number... Anything happens to one of them, and you suddenly have a lone and very lonely chicken and will be scrambling to find her a companion.

Back
Top Bottom