No more pasty butt...this is what I did...

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So, we've been hatching chicks once or twice a month since September. Pasty but was a constant issue, with every hatch. Until the last few. Waited a couple hatches to make sure it wasn't an oddity. From day one, we started using durvet vitamins and electrolytes. We used sav a chick before, and it did not effect pasty butt. For some reason, this stuff works like a charm.

So since it's such a big issue for so many, I thought I'd mention it. I bought it at TSC. Can't promise it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

Good to know I just inherited 13 chicks from a neighbors class room. Yes 4 have pasty butt. Tomorrow plan on soaking them one at a time...as if I don't have enough to do...anyway this will make the next day better I hope!

One of our chicks had the same problem. Initially we had warm water and a cloth and would wipe his butt. Then we read somewhere about using vaseline. After about a week or so of using the vaseline, the pasting wasn't nearly as bad of a problem. Worked quite well, to be honest. It wasn't instantaneous, but it worked a lot better than the warm water.

Btw, we would use a q-tip to apply to the area.

Ive been just using a few drops.

I read a post here that you should do a ph test first to figure out how much to actually use. I love an hour from the closest town, and do not have ph testers here right now. Next time I am in town I will pick some up and see if I can figure out the right dosage.

Ive been just using a few drops.

I read a post here that you should do a ph test first to figure out how much to actually use. I love an hour from the closest town, and do not have ph testers here right now. Next time I am in town I will pick some up and see if I can figure out the right dosage.

Remember if your waterer is galvanized metal DO NOT add ACV to the water, only in a plastic waterer. The acid will react with the metal. Temperature being too high can give them pasty butt also.

Back
Top Bottom