1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No, Nelda, Not Now, Please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Jan 8, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My almost three year old Speckled Sussex hen, Nelda, has been on the nest all day long and is still on it tonight. Never has she ever done this. The flock has been locked up all day due to frigid temps and blowing snow, but it's not the first time, and I've never seen Nelda act this way. She was hatched in April 07 so she's close to three years.
    Last year, one of my little poufy headed mixed breeds went broody for the first time ever at two-and-a-half years old, so it's possible that Nelda could be broody. She doesn't puff up and growl, but then, neither do most of my broodies when we handle them (we usually have sweet broodies).

Anyone have broody SS? I don't recall if they are the broody type. She came from Gina Rinks in Tennessee (ginasmarans). It would be nice if she could wait a few more weeks before wanting to hatch babies.

[​IMG]

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    She is beautiful!! But then again, all your chickens are. Tell her to just wait a little longer. It's too cold for babies!! Remind her how she'd have to stay inside with them, and they would drive her batty! But if she waits a little bit longer, she'll be able to take them outside and let them run off their energy! LOL

3. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    IDK. No experience with broodies, but I wanted to tell you that she sure is pretty!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thank you. We like Nelda. She's quite a character, always looking for food. She'll even sit on the mat at the back door, waiting for handouts.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Wow, she is beautiful! I love those Speckled Sussex! I don't know about the broody thing though. Hope for you, she decides to wait a little while! [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Nelda... love the name. My SS's name is Susie. They're such gorgeous birds, aren't they? Maybe Nelda just finds nest roosting to be warmer during this bitter cold weather we're having. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's very pretty and she very much needs to come live with me. Maybe she can teach mine that even old hens can go broody. [​IMG]

8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have 2 SS hens that went broody between 1-1 1/2 years old. They are considered a broody breed unless I am mistaken. That is why I got mine. [​IMG] There are ways to break her if she is broody. I now have more SS do to my to lovely hens and the lovely roo too. This last late hatch did not go so well do to the colder months, but they both sat and hatched the same nest. It was crazy. If you break her now she should be willing to go broody in the spring. If she is unwilling to get off the nest except for the occasional food and water, she is probably broody.

9. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Robin'sBrood :

Nelda... love the name.

Love the name too...it's my mother's name, and quite unusual. You have good taste, madam speckledhen [​IMG]!​

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I've never had any of my SS go broody, but my brother says they go broody at the drop of a hat and rarely growl or poof. Considering Nelda was one of his eggs,I would not be surprized at all! Maybe she is just thinking about it and will decide to wait.It is COLD right now. One of my egs froze yesterday before I got home from work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by