no obvious symptoms but something wrong

My hen was acting weird recently too. Lethargic, not really eating and preferring to be alone. Her croup was fine and not egg bound. I had not wormed them before so I went ahead and did it. The next morning she was up and running around, so much so that I had problems catching her. She has regained her lost weight and is her usual piggy self. Just my experience but worth a try if you have not wormed yours recently.

My hen was acting weird recently too. Lethargic, not really eating and preferring to be alone. Her croup was fine and not egg bound. I had not wormed them before so I went ahead and did it. The next morning she was up and running around, so much so that I had problems catching her. She has regained her lost weight and is her usual piggy self. Just my experience but worth a try if you have not wormed yours recently.

I had a pullet that I bought, she had lice, and was infested with worms =( She was really lethargic, and quiet. I got rid of the lice and worms, and she's now my heaviest, energetic hen!

By this afternoon she looked like herself again. After spending the day in a big ol' box in the living room I sounded like a hospital nurse and told her that she could go home once I saw that she was up and walking around, eating, drinking and pooping normally. Once she managed to do this we returned her to the yard where she was happily greeted by the others. I still don't know what the problem was but hopefully it's over now. Thanks for all your help!!

By this afternoon she looked like herself again. After spending the day in a big ol' box in the living room I sounded like a hospital nurse and told her that she could go home once I saw that she was up and walking around, eating, drinking and pooping normally. Once she managed to do this we returned her to the yard where she was happily greeted by the others. I still don't know what the problem was but hopefully it's over now. Thanks for all your help!!

Glad to hear she's better!

Yikes!!!! We thought that she was better (although with slightly abnormal poo). Then this afternoon when our 6 year old farmer boy went to gather eggs he brought back the dead body of his fluffy feathered pet.
hit.gif

Now we're wondering if there's anything we need to do to prevent sickness from spreading to the other two birds we have.

Chickens are on the ground, it's not a matter of if but when they will get worms. If they get a heavy load of worms it can kill them. Internal parasites damage the internal organs and deprive the chicken of nutrients, they can only go on so long if they are stuffed with worms. Many people deworm once or twice a year depending on where they live, some do it quarterly.

Where I live I deworm once in the winter and again in the summer. I use Valbazen or Safeguard goat dewormer. 1/2 cc per standard bird and repeat in 10 days. You do have to discard eggs until 10 days after the last treatment but in my opinion it's well worth it for the health of the birds.

Last edited:
My hens acting the same way...weird. I cant see any symptoms. But she just seems spaced out. the others are picking on her a bit, seems like they're trying to get her moving. maybe worms, but shes pretty young. 2 months laying, she's the one the lays late and maybe skips a day from time to time. Sure hope I don't loose her but not sure what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom