No one ever said you can smell wet chicken when ready to hatch~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thndrdancr, Sep 2, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, we are almost at Day 19 of incubating and I can smell CHICKEN! I mean wet chicken, or barnyard type of smell. lol I dont mean a bad egg, had a couple of those so I know what they smell like, but boy, especially when you start getting that humidity up, they smell exactly like a wet chicken!
    I thought maybe I was crazy, I was sniffing them all the other night when I candled to throw out the bad, and I tell ok...bad egg...ok...a chicken....lol
    Now that I have upped the humidity, I can smell the lil critters sitting here at my desk. I guess thats a GOOD sign. [​IMG]
    Too funny no one ever told me bout that.

Jill

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's cuz I never smelled anything like that coming from my bator. Hmm, not a clue! Maybe a smell from the former hatches in the bator? They do have a smell after they start hatching.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  3. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well I told ya I have an extra keen sniffer. Its even worse now, my hay fever has kicked in big time and I can smell the guy that lives next door smoking in his bedroom with his windows closed at 2 in the morning. Normally I would never smell it. [​IMG]
    When my hay fever is bad, I swear I can look at a PICTURE and sneeze! [​IMG]

I can smell them tho, have for a these last two days. I hope it means they are getting geared up to come into the world. [​IMG]
    I am sure its not from previous hatches, cuz she cleaned it really good and I can smell it when I sniff the eggs. [​IMG] I know, I am just goofy. [​IMG]
    Jill

4. speckledhen

Oh, I know Jaynie and I know she'd never sell a dirty bator! I was just trying to figure out what the heck you could be smelling. Wow, you must have a really sensitive sniffer! Good for rooting out bad eggs, huh? Hope that doesn't happen too often, though!

5. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Cynthia
    I am so psyched. I am not gonna get ANYTHING done for the next three to four days!
    Right about now starts Day 19 if you count from when I put them in the bator.
    Sheesh. Oh and I can only barely smell it when sitting at my computer, I really smelled it strong tho when I had to open the bator to put in a wick towels, sponge, etc. Jaynie was right, its HARD to get the humidity up in the top hatches, but I finally got it I think. I had to keep addin stuff, right after I said humidity was 77%, wham, dropped and I could NOT get it back over 60 to save my life. Its rather funny lookin now...but I got er up. Now I THINK its elevated, 70% is high as I can get it tho.
    Jill

6. speckledhen

Me, too! I am so jealous that I won't be the first one to have Suede's kiddies, but I'm glad you and Sharon will have them. At least I know I'll get pics posted here. Cant wait to see those little blue cuties! [​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Jill, I have only one time noticed a wet chicken smell and it was in my homemade hatcher and it was during the hatch.
    Humidity was probably 80+ percent at that time. I had a faulty hygrometer and when the moisture started to form on the lid and it still said 60%, I knew it was a bad reading.

I am wondering if you may have a wacky reading going on.
    Is the humidity high in your room right now?

I guess having a supper sniffer could work to your advantage with hatching.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

8. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Thanks, guys! [​IMG]

Well, I changed the batteries in my hygrometer, but its a cheapie and I only have the one. There is no moisture forming on the lid tho, and its reading (finally)steady right at 71% now.

Its funny, now I cant smell them unless I open the lid (I havent since yesterday tho), and even then its a bit hard to, I know I could if I picked up the egg and sniffed it. It just smells like chick, but dont know how to describe it. Nothing is rockin yet, or cheeping that I hear, but we are only into the first part of Day 19.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  9. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG] Jill,
    Don't worry you're not too strange - I can smell my kids getting sick - like a day or so before they come down with something I can smell it!

Keeping my eye on your eggs as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by