No one in the nest boxes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by evswabt, Oct 30, 2013.

1. evswabt

evswabt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    My husband made three nice nest boxes for our 6 hens, but they are not using them. They layed on the floor for the people that had them before, so how do I get them to use these nest boxes? New in the hen house

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Hi from Jacksonville.

Chickens like to lay eggs where other chickens have laid eggs. I would offer you a couple of suggestions.
    A) get some golf balls and place them in the nest box so they look like splendid places to lay eggs too.
    B) pick up the eggs they lay on the floor and place them in the nest boxes not for long just until they go to roost at night.

My chickens prefer to lay on straw rather than pine chips. What is the medium you are using on the floor of their coop. Maybe they like it.

Caroline

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! You might want to post on the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying forum for more answers. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying Can you tell us a little about your set up, coop, run, where/what are you using for the nest boxes, can the hens get into them easily, how high are they, do you have fake eggs in there etc.

4. alibraun

alibraun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    hello n welcome!!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I agree, a few fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes will help encourage them to lay there.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I was given one like that. After getting used to the coop, she started laying. She would lay eggs under the roost in the corner. Of course the would get poppy there so I blocked her spot by putting a bucket upside down there and put her freshly laid egg in the nest box and the next day she was laying in the best box.

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

10. evswabt

evswabt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Thanks Caroline, We have been using hay, but just got straw today so when I clean out the hen house we'll have nice soft straw for them. I will definitely put their eggs in the nest, that sounds logical to me and I sure to the hens. Evelyn in Ft. Myers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by