No Ordinance. Still told to get rid of them! MICH.

Actually, The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that that criminal statute ambiguities are resolved in favor of the defendant or accused. It's called the Rule of Lenity.

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/R/RuleofLenity.aspx

The same is true of civil contracts:

http://contract-law.laws.com/contracts/functions-of-contract-law

Either way, the ordinance is open to interpretation and would be resolved in your favor. Bring them chickens home.

pop.gif

Not much yet. Planning Commission Meeting is Wed., they seem positive that we'll have something on the books by the end of summer. Still waiting to hear from my attorney. And I'll update again after we see what happens Wed. There have been petitions around town and quite a few people want the opportunity to raise hens in their own yards as well. It was advertised in the paper for people interested in this to show up to the meeting, so the word has been spread and my fingers are crossed.

UPDATE: We are moving forward. Looks like Planning is going to clarify the current ordinance. And admitted it was very vague. This may go faster than amending, which would take council approval and a public hearing. Still won't say how long or which way this is going, but promised to look at it with an open mind. Everyone on the Commission seemed positive and I was surprised how much work the administrator put into this. She had copies of many local ordinances to reference for inspiration. As of right now, I couldn't ask for a better situation moving ahead. Let's hope it stays on track. The petition certainly helped.

Thanks! I'm waiting with baited breath, you never know what these people might decide.

I have 2 wks left! LOL and then one of my first orders of business (after recovery from the c/s) is the next planning commission meeting.

I just caught up with this thread. I admire all of your hard work and am glad things seem to be moving along in a positive direction.

I'm also happy the newspaper is all over it. I know it's a small town, but still.

Wishing you a great remainder of your pregnancy and I hope things go smoothly!

D.gif

I am glad they are even going to consider changing the ordinances...The town were we lived in North Carolina would not even consider it! They simply said "NO CHICKENS" period.

well i hope you win this case because chickens dont bother anyone and as long as you keep the coop clean there is no smell to them, im glad here in rural pa everyone encurages you to have whatever makes you happy as long as its within reason. keep us updated adn keep us updated about the new addition to your family.

Back
Top Bottom