No Peck Lotion

enola

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
Irwin, Pennsylvania (Pittsburg area)
Has anyone on this site seen a lotion that you can put on bloody sponts on chickens called NO PECK ???

I used it years ago to keep chickens from pecking each other. It was red in color, you put it on the pecked bloody spot, the other chickens would peck it thinking it was blood.

Evidently, it tasted terrible, because once they picked the lotion, they would NOT peck the chicken any more. They even became leary of picking bloody spots any more. It really did a good job of keeping chickens from pecking each other.

If anyone knows where I can find it, PLEASE let me know !

I looked there, didn't see it
hit.gif

Quote:
Does adding tea tree oil make it easier to work with? How much tea tree would you have to add? I found pine tar to be very effective for stopping picking, but it was so miserable to work with that I am hesitant to ever use it again.

I use pine tar too. I have never put any Tea Tree Oil in it, but that makes sense.

I am looking for the NO PECK for next season chick raising.

I know it existed at one time, it really is/was the greatest stuff !

I use VetRX. It's a multipurpose cure all available at most feed stores.
Once the chickens taste it they stop picking.

Rooster Booster "Pick No More" is what I have used. It sounds quite a bit like what you are talking about, although it has capsaicin in it, so it might irritate a wound. If you DO get it... use gloves to apply it or your hands will be purple for a long time.

http://www.roosterboosterproducts.com/

btw - their other products are great also. I use the supplements -

Good Luck!!

CMV wrote: Does adding tea tree oil make it easier to work with? How much tea tree would you have to add? I found pine tar to be very effective for stopping picking, but it was so miserable to work with that I am hesitant to ever use it again

We leave the can sitting in the vicinity of the wood stove in the winter, and out on the deck in the summer (warmer the better). Just use a couple of cotton swabs to pull up some and place in a medicine cup, two drops of tea tree oil and mix it in. In the winter, just bring the chook inside (warm) and apply with the two swabs (roll `em on the area like mixer beaters). Bigger, shallow abrasions (popsicle stick/tongue blade).

Both the No-Pick and VetRX contain `pine tar' (camphor/balsam and the like). All need to be applied cautiously to chomped up combs so as to avoid the eyes.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I use it - it is the best! Works great on healing my wounds too. I applied it once to a hen, just a little dab in a big bare patch. That was the only place on her head where feathers grew.

Back
Top Bottom