No remaining eggs survived, insight into what could have gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frizzles, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Frizzles

Frizzles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2008
    I decided to pip the remaining eggs, everyone was dead, most fully developed, feathered (I did open all eggs and examined them) and in a position to pip, but none were still living. A couple were very very fluidy, yellow kind of like mustard around them, all were in liquid with a good sized air pocket with membrane still attached and surrounding the chick. Could low temp/humidity have played a part? The temp gauge said 99.5, but again, having been gone, grandkids could have played with it as my daughter said she had to regulate it several times. I don't want to make the same mistakes again, any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Yellowish fluid would tell me they died a few days before scheduled to pip. The rest being moist with a good air cell would indicate humidity was ok.

Either just weak chicks or a temperature spike "IF" it was drastic enough.

I haven't seen your other posts on this, so I am going by what is written here.

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    So sorry about that, I know you were looking forward to baby birds!! [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    So sorry for you. I know it must be frustrating. What had been your humidity throughout hatch,prior to day 18?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Not enough oxygen plays a part too.....

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm not familiar with your incubator..what type is it and does it have a fan or not? They require different temp setting and that is why I ask. Based on just the info here, my original thought was temp too low.

here is a troubleshooting chart that may help. http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/trouble.htm#LD

Jody

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by