no roof on run?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
we are planning on having a small run that is very secure and has plastic roof over it and then when im home the chickens will be allowed in a big connected run area that does not have a roof on it.
does this sound all right?
will they fly out if their is no roof? its about 6 ft
and if they can fly out of the run then when they free range will they fly over the fence to the neighbors yard?
does aviary netting last through lots of snow?

I think how high they fly may depend on whether you have bantams or standard-size birds. Mine are on the heavy side (Light Brahma, Buff Orpington, and a smaller EE) and I've never seen them fly more than a four or five feet. They have flown to the top of a 5 ft. gate and then gone over.

Besides flying, your concerns would be exposure to predators like hawks, and again, how small or large your birds are will be a factor. My chickens wander an area that is mostly protected by oak trees so no straight shot for a hawk, although I think my girls are a little big for all but the most ambitious hawk.

Quote:
i have a tree in the open run and i will hang cds
i have a orpington, brahma, silkie, cochin, barred rock, jersey giant and a goose.
im hoping the goose will alert me if their is any hawks (although i have her for a pet not to guard my flock)

I would be worried aboutt raptors if there are trees around. As far as flying out, my Welsummer was perched up on the 6+ man door the other night, so if she's allowed to roam her wings will get a little clip. The others are less athletic so far.

Mine have a covered run for when I'm not home, and are allowed out into our fenced yard when I'm home. Our fence is only 4 ft., and we've never had one leave. My EE could, but the others can't get a whole lot of lift. Your breeds don't sound like fliers. I would make sure you're spending time with them for the first two weeks or so, just to observe their behaviors outside of the run. The CDs will help. If you don't have shrubs in the larger area, you might think of planting some (boxwoods are hardy and cheap). I'm a firm believer in making "the grass greener" on my side of the fence...lol. Reduces temptations, plus it's a barrier/hiding place from predators.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom