No Scratch Grains in Summer???

Well, I feel better now.....
I guess there is as many ways to feed chickens as there are chickens.....
Do what works for your flock
smile.png

The good thing about giving scratch before going to roost in the winter is that it keeps the chickens fueled for a long time. That's good for longer, colder nights, especially up north. A whole or cracked grain takes longer to digest than a pulverized grain, like in a crumble or pellet. As well fed as most chickens are these days, with more body reserves, I'm not sure that makes a big difference. A lot of people use supplemental lighting, too, so the nights aren't as long. The time between going to roost and getting up to eat in the morning is shorter.

The ingredients in scratch are usually a part of the ingredients list in a complete feed. So, they're usually eating corn and wheat all summer, anyway. Just as an example. Giving some of it in the form of scratch, as a treat and to give them something to forage for, is not a bad thing. Just don't give too much.

Most scratch sold is pretty inadequate as a total diet. It doesn't have enough protein, it doesn't have a balanced amino acid profile, it's deficient in the range and amount of vitamins and minerals that chickens need.

There are some whole grain feeds with legumes like peas mixed in that's sold as a complete feed that makes a great scratch. I think Chris has posted about that before. I wish it was available here. I've also seen people talk about nice scratch mixes that have many grains in the mix. That's also not available here. My husband likes to give out scratch, so I never do. I get to give out sunflower seeds as a treat, instead.

Quote:
Thanks for all the input, I think Silkie Sue got it right, diffrent strokes for diffrent chickens
big_smile.png

I think I will continue to throw scratch in the am but thinking I could also mix in some of their feed too, BTW I am using Purina Sun Fresh Scratch Grains, it is only 8% protien.

They are healthy and Happy, so I guess I'm doing something right. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that could really harm them.

I give scratch or some kind of treat AM and PM it keeps them running to me, witch is a good thing, if I need to get them in for any reason. they see me go to the coop and if they are free ranging they come running, Dog in the yard that I don't trust, shake a can by the coop and they are in the run and safe. I cut back on the amount in the summer cause there are plenty of bugs, grass, ect. to eat.

Back
Top Bottom