NO SLEEP!!!

KinnaChickie

Songster
Jul 29, 2018
UP NORTHIN BAMA!!!
so I have a question. I have a few 6 month old polish cockerels that are pretty amazing. but one!!! this cockerel cockadoodle doos all day long and all night. what can I do about the night time craziness. it doesn't bug me but it may my neighbors. is this normal activity for them or is something disturbing him at night

I raise a lot of roosters...

Usually they stop crowing at dusk and don't start up again.. sometimes until 2:30 or 4:30 am.

But yes they can crow at many things... passing head lights, visiting predators, rats, the wind, a car starting, the kitchen drawer closing...

Do you have the lights turned off at night?

It also doesn't bug me... but I have regular conversations with my neighbors to see how they are fairing. Maybe you can chat with them and ask? So far NONE of my neighbors have had an actual issue, even though some were concerned when I first started keeping roosters.

It isn't a good choice for me... but you could try a non crow collar, put on after roost and removed for day time? I personally dispatch any problem birds... and sometimes excessive crowing is a good reason. :drool

It may not bother you... but I wonder if it effect other flock members?

He *may* grow out of it, given time?

Good luck! :fl

I raise a lot of roosters...

Usually they stop crowing at dusk and don't start up again.. sometimes until 2:30 or 4:30 am.

But yes they can crow at many things... passing head lights, visiting predators, rats, the wind, a car starting, the kitchen drawer closing...

Do you have the lights turned off at night?

It also doesn't bug me... but I have regular conversations with my neighbors to see how they are fairing. Maybe you can chat with them and ask? So far NONE of my neighbors have had an actual issue, even though some were concerned when I first started keeping roosters.

It isn't a good choice for me... but you could try a non crow collar, put on after roost and removed for day time? I personally dispatch any problem birds... and sometimes excessive crowing is a good reason. :drool

It may not bother you... but I wonder if it effect other flock members?

He *may* grow out of it, given time?

Good luck! :fl
GROW OUT OF IT...LORD I HOPE SO. I WAS BEGINNING TO THINK ITS POSSIBLE THAT ITS A PREDATOR OF SOME SORT WE JUST ARENT SEEING. THE REST OF THE COCKERELS DONT DO IT THOUGH. JUST HIM. AND YES OUR LIGHTS ARE OFF AT NIGHT. I DONT PERSONALLY LIKE LEAVING THEM ON. AND YES I DONT REALLY LIKE THE WHOLE IDEA OF THE NON CROW COLLAR. ITS INTENDED TO HAVE THEM CROW, BY GOSH WHY WOULD I STOP THAT. LOL. THE REST OF THE FLOCK SEEMS FINE. THEY ALL SLEEP NO ISSUES. SO TO BE HONEST, I THINK HE IS JUST GOING TO BE MY PAIN

so I have a question. I have a few 6 month old polish cockerels that are pretty amazing. but one!!! this cockerel cockadoodle doos all day long and all night. what can I do about the night time craziness. it doesn't bug me but it may my neighbors. is this normal activity for them or is something disturbing him at night
They seem to grow out of it here.
I've had a few noisy cockerels. It doesn't matter because there are no neighbors.
What seems to happen is they crow like crazy until they've established themselves with a group of hens. This can take a few months. I can recommend some good ear plugs.;)

Back
Top Bottom