No substitute for a Good Dog

I wish your Herbie "Wings" for his safe passage.
His picture is beautiful -He was a very regal looking gentlman.
I'm so happy your Thor made his way back to you too.
I wonder if you need to consider an electric fence-Thor got out and in again (thankfully) and it may keep coyotes out too.
very sorry for all your losses

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Herbie and I had tears in my eyes just feeling your pain. I was so glad when I got several posts over and saw that Thor had returned.

I know how I would feel if anything happened to Rex, our GSD who also works wonders guarding our farm and all the livestock and free ranging chickens, ducks, peacocks. He and a stray we took in, Lucy bark and chase things towards the woods all night long (thousands of acres of woods surround us). Lucy will sleep most of the day she's so tired from predator patrol at night but Rex keeps working. He chases off every hawk he sees - even ones way in the distance - and runs and barks towards the woods at things he smells or hears. We here the coyotes every night and the young ones yipping and carrying on - sounds like just behind our barn in the woods. It's my fear that they will divert Rex and Lucy and get one or both of them but so far the dogs are keeping the coyotes at bay. I have recently gotten another GSD puppy, a female, Scarlett, that Rex can train. With lots of predators and lots of livestock you need a good LGD.

What a beatuful pup sorry for your loss
sad.png

I don't think size matters with the coyotes. I've heard of them killing some pretty big dogs! I think the GPs are so successful (though I've heard of them getting killed also) because of their abundance of fur and loose neck hide. Being big AND having the added defense may just help in a fight. Great Danes have that beautiful short hair and tight skin, making them an easy target for veterans of doggy warfare!

Hope you can get those darned coyotes! Sorry about your good dog, Herbie....I know just what you mean! I had the best dog in the world once, and every other dog simply pales in his long shadow!
sad.png

Dogs are angels with fur. Your Herbie is surely watching over you now, just as he always did. So glad Thor is home! Good hunting for the coyotes, maybe a night scope and rocksalt would make them think for a bit?

Quote:
The Plot thickens.............. We have been keeping the young female Dane, "Molly" inside since she was attacked and she is healing nicely (even though she did rip out her stitches) Kept Marmaduke... um, I mean Thor.. inside too but the dastardly coyotes came back last night and killed all my hens except 1. There are feathers everywhere, the coop is destroyed, they ate right thru the wire, busted the 2 X 2 wood poles and basically pushed the whole wire roof in. This cage was sitting inside an extra stall in our barn with another smaller wire cage on top as a nest. Eggs strewn all over, broken and eaten. The gate is chained with a spring loaded clip too. They had to jump over it.

Herbie has been gone less than 2 weeks and these blasted predators have us pegged. Herbies scent must be gone too because they are coming right up on the patio. We have a little girl with CP and she can't walk so this is a very scary situation.

My last chicken is in a private cage locked in the garage tonight. I'm asking my friend if she will take her for me to keep her safe till we rebuild.

The plan is to keep the dogs in for a few days, set some traps near the barn, bait them with some good meat and see what we catch. The pack has to be at least 5 or 6 coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom