No substitute for a Good Dog

Their Other Mother

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Arizona
I have some very sad news to report. Our very loyal friend, who just happened to be a dog, passed away October 4th. I started a thread last June to brag on him and now reading it again it is the perfect eulogy. It was titled "Our dog saved our flock"

What an incredibly difficult two weeks we have had. It started Thursday, October 2nd. Coyotes came into the yard, 2 diverted Herbie and the young Danes and the other went straight for the barn and killed my best layer and most friendly hen. We were also dealing with the grief of a close girlfriend dying at the young age of 48 from a very rare form of cancer. Her funeral was Saturday, October 4th. When we returned home from the Church, we found Herbie dead. He was very old and bless his heart he just layed down and died. Since then the Coyotes have ravaged us. They attacked our female Great Dane and ripped her front leg apart, Our male Dane has been missing since Sunday and they killed our only rooster, a beautiful EE just yesterday morning right in the barn.

Someone posted earlier "There is no substitute for a good dog" How true it is.

Thanks again for listening.

Three final cheers for Herbie, the best dog in the whole wide world!

9782_camp_039.jpg

I'm so sorry for your troubles and losses, and especially Herbie... Last month I unexpectedly lost my rescued JRT I had for 2 years and I know how much you grieve for your longtime companion. You're right- there is no substitute for a good dog......

I am so sorry-there is never a good time to lose a friend, animal or human, and my prayers are with your family during this sad time.

You will never find another Herbie, but I hope you will find another dog to love and to protect your flock soon-there are so many out there, many just waiting for the chance to show someone what they have to offer. When you are ready, I hope you will check out petfinder.com, which showcases animals waiting for adoption in almost every shelter in the nation, as well as those in private homes.

Wow what a month for you all. I lost a best friend to cancer this year as well. She fell on her face on May 18th hitting chest first, started spitting up blood, went to the doctor that Monday and was told cancer. Went in to hospital on the 5th of June and was dead by the 25th of June, soft cell lung cancer. So I sure do understand the hurt and anger and missing, Marge was only 55. So hugs and tears to you.

First I am so sorry for the loss of your Herbie. What a handsome boy.

Second as a retired great dane breeder I am very sorry for your girl and sure hope the boy will turn up, I am sure you have searched for him Hi and Low.

I am also sorry to hear that they have gotten your chickens as well.

Is there a trapper who could help you with this problem? Check with the local hunters who use dogs they are always looking for practice.

Sending prayers for you all. Again I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much. I miss Herbie so much. We stuck to each other like glue and after 12 years I keep wanting to put food down for him, step over him in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom, listen for his sighs as we settled down for bed. He slept right next to me where ever I slept. His bed was next to mine but if I slept on the couch, he slept on the floor right next to me. If my husband and I switched sides of the bed, Herbie came over to the side I was on to sleep on the floor there so I could hang my arm over and rest my hand on him. My husband used to joke that it was a good thing he knew better than to make me choose between him and the dog.

Our greatest fear for Thor (the male Dane who is missing) is that the coyotes got him. Do you think a coyote would attack a Great Dane? He is about 7 feet long and over 100 lbs. We have not seen vultures around so are hopeful someone has him in "protective custody" we have posted on pets911, posted signs all over the neighborhood, feed store etc but no luck in 2 days. The other female Dane is healing well. We stitched her up, the swelling is down and she is walking with only a slight limp now. We wanted Danes because we figured they are big enough to keep the coyotes away but have found them to be too friendly and not agressive enough to protect the property from preditors.

Back
Top Bottom