No time to build a coop where to buy!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lindsie1984, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Lindsie1984

Lindsie1984 New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Has anyone had any luck with buying a chicken coop online? If so could you let me know which site and possibly a link! I don't think we will have time to build one from scratch and so far the farm stores around my area the coops are really cheaply made.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would recommend finding someone to build something for you.

It doesn't have to be as scary expensive as you think it might be. If you don't ask for fancy gingerbread trim, someone in the "handyman" category (verses a home builder), shouldn't cost too much, and should be able to put something together for you in only a few days.

What he builds for you will be much better than anything you buy, even if it might be twice the price, it will actually last and fit your needs.

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Do you have any local shed lots? They usually sell coops, but don't always advertise them. Also check out craigslist. The ones you can buy online are super over prices, small, and made if very shoddy materials.

4. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Last year we ordered our coop from CC ONLY, and we are so happy with it! Now, we found a discount code for it in some chicken magazine I'd bought a Barnes and Noble, and I'll bet if you go grab a few poultry mags you will find the same.

This is what we have, with the double extended run:
    http://www.cconly.com/coop__hutches/cc-18_series
    (Scroll down to the CC-18-R2-H)

The drawer that pulls out to clean the coop, along with an entire side panel that comes off, has been immensely valuable in maintaining a clean environment. And this year we are taking that panel off to extend the house so we can accommodate more chickens. I love all the doors.

If I had one do over, which I'm sure I will someday, I'd build something I can fully walk into. But that's not an option for my area, and this has been great. They have lots of other models too.

Craigslist is also full of people unloading old coops that have decided to upgrade as well.

Let us know what you do!

(Edit: last year the magazine discount brought it to $450 free shipping. It's rather expensive without a discount :( but it is quality, no doubt about it)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  5. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Where do you live?

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    How many chickens do you intend to house is another good bit of information. You can get a lot of good suggestions on building one fast and estimated cost with that information.

For example:
    I built an 8x14 that is 8 foot tall for about 1200 dollars. I built the windows and used reclaimed metal roofing to save on cost. (Run price not included) This took a long time to construct. Working on it in the evenings and weekends total time was about 100 hours.

I also built a 4x6 dog house that is 5 foot tall for 275 including shingles. I used reclaimed pallet pieces for the base frame and put in no windows. Built with plans I drew on graph paper total time was about 4 hours with 3 people.

I also built a tiny coop 4x4 with a small run attached to it for about 200 dollars. It has one window and the roofing is the pal roof from Home Depot that I found on super cheap sale. I built this one from plans I drew on graph paper. Total time was about 10 hours. (Thinking I was moving slowly that day)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    would be great to know where OP lives.

I'd suggest contacting the shop class teacher at the local high school and see if they'll build one and just let you pay for the materials, our local HS has been known to do this.

Other than that, craigslist, or I'll second the notion of find someone who does odd jobs to build one. Someone who can dedicate their time to it shouldn't take but just a few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by