No to the chickens, but.....

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I know I know. Just posted a thread yesterday about training a bantam. But I just learned I have all the money of a budgie. I have a cage + all necessary accessories, the cost of annual feed+vegetables. And of course the budgie itself. But I dont know what my mom will say. I have the room. But I share my room with 2 young kids 3&6. I already have chickens, a mini horse, a mini donk, and 3 dogs. How can I possibly convince her?? (I'm 12 but I've taken responsibility with all of my animals and can take care of them swell)

I know I know. Just posted a thread yesterday about training a bantam. But I just learned I have all the money of a budgie. I have a cage + all necessary accessories, the cost of annual feed+vegetables. And of course the budgie itself. But I dont know what my mom will say. I have the room. But I share my room with 2 young kids 3&6. I already have chickens, a mini horse, a mini donk, and 3 dogs. How can I possibly convince her?? (I'm 12 but I've taken responsibility with all of my animals and can take care of them swell)

First of all they can live a while. Do you have plans for going to college ect?

Well, if she realizes you take care of the critters you have already, she shouldn't be too hard to convince. And if you have the money....easy peasy.

I also dont need to worry about harmful fumes. Because we dont use anything like that. But how should I bring it up to her? Whenever I just talk to her it commonly ends up in an argument. Should I text her? Call her? What should I do??:barnie:th:idunno

Try to bargain with her. Find a way to argue your case that she may understand... it’s a good lesson for the younger ones you room with to see you taking such care of your pets and they will see it clearer having that one with you. Something along those lines. Present it like you’re presenting a theory in your science class. Where you have an idea and you have to argue you’re idea and see if you can convince her to let you test your theory.

Talk to her. Texting is rude when it is something important like this. Talk to her with respect and listen to what she has to say.

I am not sure I would want a budgie in a bedroom with 3 kids in it - and 2 of them being younger. They can be noisy and I would worry about the younger ones wanting to play with it and hurting it.

Why do you end up arguing every time you talk?

A budgie is a small parrot. They can live up to 15 years, and will need easily as much social interaction from you as a dog. They're very loud most of the time. They're also fragile animals that don't do well with screaming and/or grabby kids, and they need a much larger cage and much more enrichment than people tend to think.

What IS your plan for college? Because no college is going to let you bring a budgie, nor would you have the space in the dorm to set up a proper enclosure.

With all the animals you already have, plus school work, how will you ever have time to take care of a budgie? I know dogs take a lot of time and attention.
How often do you walk your dogs? How often do you work on training with them? do they know their obedience commands?

With all the animals you already have, plus school work, how will you ever have time to take care of a budgie? I know dogs take a lot of time and attention.
How often do you walk your dogs? How often do you work on training with them? do they know their obedience commands?
We live in the woods so the dogs get to run. Around. I have enough room/money for the bird cage. I sleep in a loft so the kids cant get up there. They aren't even at the house unless I am. For college I have someone who will gladly take them who lives near me. Or I'm planning to go to an online college for the first few years. I wake up early enough so taking care of 1 more animal wont do much harm to my schedule. I am familiar with parakeets and I have been around/have watched them be trained before.

Back
Top Bottom