No Toes

momcastle

Hatching
11 Years
May 12, 2008
I have two Chickens that are about 9months old. One has lost all her toes over the winter. She seems to be happy and getting along fine. She cannot get up into the coop and has made a nest on the ground where she lays her eggs. She also can't roost. Is this a problem? These are my first chickens so any adivice is welcome. Also any thought on how I should prepare for next winter? Michigan can be very cold.
Thanks.

I don't have any experience on dealing with them if they've lost their toes, but I would say if she's eating, drinking and getting along otherwise, she should be fine.

As far as a roost, use a 2x4 flat ways (the wider side up) so their little toes don't hang down and get frost-bitten. That'll keep them up under their bellies so they stay warm.

You are also going to have to find a way to rig it so she can get up into the coop. Either a plank that she can walk up, or going out each evening and putting her in. She should be fine over the summer outside, as long as you don't have problems with predators.

Hope this helps!

Jess

Back
Top Bottom