No turn hatches....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adyhart1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. adyhart1

adyhart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Ok so i have read that some people do not turn there eggs.... I personally do but i was wanting some input from some peeps who have done no turn hatches.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have done a no turn hatch,but I would elevate one end of the incubator and switch sides several times a day.
    The hatch was going well till i tripped over the cord a nd nocked the whole thing upside down.
    65 % hatch rate.

3. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    ooo thats my biggest fear is tripping over all the cords for my incubator. So 65% for no turn hatch thats not too bad at all!

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    wouldn't that still be classified as turning, a turner does the same thing when it tilts from one side to the other.

5. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:This was my same thought. I thought a no turn hatch meant no turning/tilting at all. Which, last I knew can't be done with much of a hatch rate at all. The eggs need to be turned/tilted in order to keep the yolk exercized.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I do not believe "no turn" hatch will increase your hatching rate.

LOL

If I had bunches of my own eggs and got lazy I could think of "no turn" hatches.

Otherwise it is just a stupid idea.

Just like other fairy tales type of..... preincubating eggs, determining birds sex by subjecting eggs to some gadgets sold by scammers etc. etc.

But as a saying goes: "A sucker is born every minute."

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That's basically what turning is. Moving the yolk enough to keep it from sticking to any one spot inside the shell.
    Just like a hen does, moving the eggs underneath her.

8. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I had just read that somewhere a while back that some people dont turn their eggs. I was just curious... i turn mine because i dont want to waste the small number of eggs i get at a time [​IMG]

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    My turner accidentally got turned off during a hatch and I went from 7 developing to 1 in about a week and 1/2....then I noticed it was off and turned it back on. The 1 hatched.

Not quite what you meant, but the closest I have come. Each egg looked like only half of it had chick in it.....the side that was up was completely empty.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by