No viable eggs, gander still sitting on empty nest.

Ducky 488

Chirping
Dec 14, 2023
My first time goose laid eggs about a month ago. I think it’s the gander that has been sitting on them. There were 24 eggs in the nest and I candled them all, none were viable so I took them away so they would not explode. The gander was outside for about ten minutes and came back in and looked for the eggs. He sat on the nest again. I feel so sad, will he/ she go back to normal behavior soon? Or should I worry? He’s not eating much. I think he’s a gander because he’s larger than the other one who does lay eggs and he was mating with the other one this summer and fall. New to geese, so any help is appreciated 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_5767.jpeg
    IMG_5767.jpeg
    596.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5769.jpeg
    IMG_5769.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 8
My first time goose laid eggs about a month ago. I think it’s the gander that has been sitting on them. There were 24 eggs in the nest and I candled them all, none were viable so I took them away so they would not explode. The gander was outside for about ten minutes and came back in and looked for the eggs. He sat on the nest again. I feel so sad, will he/ she go back to normal behavior soon? Or should I worry? He’s not eating much. I think he’s a gander because he’s larger than the other one who does lay eggs and he was mating with the other one this summer and fall. New to geese, so any help is appreciated 🤗
Are you sure he’s a gander?

Geese are all individuals and can behave differently but usually my ganders will only sit on eggs for a few minute, at most a half hour. Girls are the ones who will go at it for days to weeks.
I have one gander who will sit on eggs for hours but that’s usually when he’s starting to not feel well and getting more lethargic. He starts feeling off and wants to sit on the coziest spot, which is the girl’s nest.

Are you sure he’s a gander?

Geese are all individuals and can behave differently but usually my ganders will only sit on eggs for a few minute, at most a half hour. Girls are the ones who will go at it for days to weeks.
I have one gander who will sit on eggs for hours but that’s usually when he’s starting to not feel well and getting more lethargic. He starts feeling off and wants to sit on the coziest spot, which is the girl’s nest.
I’m not sure of anything at the moment! Maybe he’s just a large she. I guess I’ll wait and see if it will lay more eggs in the next few days🤪

Back
Top Bottom