No visible air sac at 22 days but chirping heard

Oh wow what an informational post! Thanks for doing a follow up and for pics.
I guess my takeaway is perhaps it's best to let nature take it's course. Imagine helping it hatch and then having to figure out whether and how to keep it alive. Good amount of emotional stress avoided!
That was my thoughts exactly. I had actually prayed and asked for wisdom about whether to intervene and felt in my spirit that it was best to leave this one alone. And now I know why. So glad I listened to the Lord. It could have really suffered and then we would have had to make a difficult decision.

In case you like to know what happens:

I no longer heard chirping so I floated it again and no movement this time. So I proceded with an external pip. No visible movement in the shell and I couldn’t see the beak so I increased the size of the hole, being careful to stay in the air sac. Then I found the beak, which was malformed and it became obvious that the chick had passed. So I finished removing the shell and found that it only had the lower part of the beak and also appeared to be missing an eye. Attaching a few pictures. I also opened the other egg that was already deceased and it was malpositioned with its head between the legs.

I had someone “babysit” the incubator during the first week because I was out of town. Maybe something happened then that I’m not aware of.
That's possible.

That was my thoughts exactly. I had actually prayed and asked for wisdom about whether to intervene and felt in my spirit that it was best to leave this one alone. And now I know why. So glad I listened to the Lord. It could have really suffered and then we would have had to make a difficult decision.
Praise God that he is so involved in the littlest and biggest of our prayers! It turns out so good when we stop to ask and listen.

Back
Top Bottom