No wire fencing required for chicken run?

You can raise your own insects to help supplement, I also have timer lights that go on at night for a few hours and the birds gather around them to catch the bugs they attract. Soaking and sprouting beans and grains also helps save money, look for deals like people getting rid of pumpkins after Halloween, sometimes you can get huge ones for 25 cents. Try planting things with high reward for less work like tomatoes, mango melons, cucumbers, etc. fermenting the feed helps it go further as well. Pile up lawn clippings for them to forage in, turn over pavers for them etc, there are sources of free food for them all over.

As for early settlers, they had dogs,kids,donkeys etc watching their animals during the day, geese screaming alarm calls, plus it wasn’t built up, all humans were armed, and it was easier and safer for animals to hunt other game than face humans with guns. Animals weren’t as desperate then, because their environment hadn’t been altered, they could more easily choose to just hunt elsewhere. Plus when an apex predator came in and caused an issue, they hunted and killed it, and it’s territory was left safe until a new boss predator moved in. Chickens are surprisingly good at survival when they have pristine forest and brush to hide in for miles around.

Chickens roamed free among other livestock like goats and pigs. People were outdoors most of the day working the farm and tending the animals. Coyotes hadn't migrated east yet, but settlers were ruthless about eradicating predators like wolves and bears.
Not necessarily true, there's hawks, weasel family, snakes, foxes etc.

I don’t remember if you had said in previous posts, sorry if I missed it, what will they be locked into at night?
The loose dogs are really concerning, since they’ll be around during the day when your birds are out and about, and if you have a structure like a barn, shed, etc , I’m guessing you’ll want to build the pen around that. Maybe pallet walls with some sort of netting on top, I know someone who used old soccer netting, and it kept the birds in, but I’m not sure how secure it is.

You can raise your own insects to help supplement, I also have timer lights that go on at night for a few hours and the birds gather around them to catch the bugs they attract. Soaking and sprouting beans and grains also helps save money, look for deals like people getting rid of pumpkins after Halloween, sometimes you can get huge ones for 25 cents. Try planting things with high reward for less work like tomatoes, mango melons, cucumbers, etc. fermenting the feed helps it go further as well. Pile up lawn clippings for them to forage in, turn over pavers for them etc, there are sources of free food for them all over.

As for early settlers, they had dogs,kids,donkeys etc watching their animals during the day, geese screaming alarm calls, plus it wasn’t built up, all humans were armed, and it was easier and safer for animals to hunt other game than face humans with guns. Animals weren’t as desperate then, because their environment hadn’t been altered, they could more easily choose to just hunt elsewhere. Plus when an apex predator came in and caused an issue, they hunted and killed it, and it’s territory was left safe until a new boss predator moved in. Chickens are surprisingly good at survival when they have pristine forest and brush to hide in for miles around.
Yes, absolutely 100%! This actually makes sense!

Last edited:
because right now you don't know if your killing a buck or a doe and could be killing off two fawns along with the doe. And if you get caught killing a deer out of season, its a huge fine and possible jail sentence. Thats why..
and if you kill a rabbit in the summer when they have rabbit fleas, it can and will make you very sick.
My brother-in-law kills rabbits all the time for meat and they're fine. If you live that far out then nobody's gonna know the difference if you shoot a deer. And squirrels are also good meat, just throwing that out there.

I do have neighbors that WILL call police if they suspect anything illegal going on such as poaching game out of season. It would be totally possible for them to actually see the deer drop. That would be disaster. I could venture out into the woods but again im over 60 and can't walk nor drag nor pack much a very long distance. We do eat deer and squirrel when they venture close enough and we absolutely love ground hog meat.

What am I going to lock them up in at night? A chicken coop of course if I can gather enough supplies. My plan is to build not too close (think stinky) but close enough to keep a good eye on them. My run will be at least 100sq ft and my coop half that.

I have a friend that lets his birds roam free. He has 6 dogs that guard them and he never worries about predators. He also just has chickens to look at. He don't gather eggs or eat them. At my house there is more neighbors and more chicken killing dogs, nor are their many old buildings to gather supplies from which is where im stuck at now, gathering supplies as much on the cheap as possible.

Last edited:
I think a big concern is the bears, because they can get through anything if they're determined. We don't often have problems with them in Florida, but a friend with a house near a lake had a tenants coop smashed up by a bear at night. We have a member who deals with bears regularly in Colorado and baits electric wire to teach them to stay away.

On feed, you'll get the best bang for your buck avoiding less nutritious items like corn and scratch and stick with nutritionally balanced feed. A layer pellet with a minimum of 16% protein, although many of us choose a higher protein 20% all-flock or grower with oyster shell on the side. Corn just doesn't do much, so it's kind of a waste of funds, and you want to avoid too much fat because that can lead to laying issues that won't get you a return on investment. Some people are focusing on the short term and what's the cheapest, but your goal seems to be to create something sustainable and for that you need healthy birds.

I don't know if you're putting in a garden but I have some seeds for tomatoes and other stuff if you want to pm me your addy or po box?

Anyway, one thing you might consider is some breeds are much more economical to feed than others. Leghorns, for example, were bred by big agriculture to do the most with the least. Wyandottes are among the worst, from what I remember according to a chart that was floating around here. That's not just about eggs but also pounds of meat for pounds of feed.
When it comes to sourcing local birds, just keep in mind they won't be as productive after a certain age. Those of us with showy breeds don't often mind getting half as many eggs after a few years (depending on the breed), but the most economical system would be hens under 2-3 years old.

One kinda redneck idea, which I'm only mentioning because your neighbors might not mind, is to convert a derelict vehicle into a coop. The side windows get the mesh, windshield stays, and seats come out. It's kinda crazy but a car is a tough thing, lol.

That many predators around you’ll likely need protection during the daylight hours too.
Yup! Its going to be about 20ft from the house, I have two dogs that may or may not help out. The coop has to be almost totally sealed off because we have black snakes that can actually climb vertical walls of chipboard or other rough surfaces to be able to slide in through the eaves and eat your eggs. No holes or cracks larger than a nickel. Will have to cover vents with mesh. The run will almost be impossible to secure overnight. Coyotes, dogs, foxes, raccoons all can chew through the chicken wire that I can afford. I think I might be good if I lock them up in a secure coop though. There is always someone home so a bear or any other predator might find a surprise if they attack the run in the day. I realize that during the night, a bear attack will mean everything lost including the coop and run. The more I seek supplies, the more I realize that this whole project is out of my budget. I hate to half way do something, I hate to cobble stuff together. I want my girls to be happy and have something to be proud of. In order to have a tight good looking chicken set-up, its going to cost more than I can get. Kinda bummed out about it all at this point but maybe someone might call with some free wire or supplies. No. Won't happen but got to have faith right?

Back
Top Bottom