Nobody laying but Mollie

GrannyHeeney

Songster
Apr 18, 2018
Upstate SC
The BR girls haven't laid in 2 weeks but every day, without fail, there's a little green egg. Good old Mollie! :D Do you think it's the Legbar in her? If so, I'd love to find some purebreds to replace the BRs when they're gone. Go git 'em, Mollie! :D
mollie.jpg

Coming up on a year now. Scrambled is in full molt--the place looks like someone exploded a zebra and poor Scrambled looks like something has been taking bites out of her. She's truly miserable, the poor thing. Dumpling seems to be intact, feather-wise, but also not laying. Molt sympathy? LOL

My EE has been laying 5/week since she was 18 weeks old, without fail. All of my girls are only 7.5 months old. MY BR is NOT a good layer I may get a few eggs on a weekly basis, 40% of those soft shell, my BA lays about 4 times per week and my SS hasn't even started. I'm also thinking I will not get any more BR in the future. Besides that she's not a very nice chicken :(, sort of the bully of the bunch...

Shes probably just preparing for her molt. Mine slowed and then I went in one morning before dawn and thought my God they pooped a lot last night. As I had just cleaned the " poop deck" the evening before and put fresh bedding on it and I turned on my flashlight and it was almost all feathers.

My EE has been laying 5/week since she was 18 weeks old, without fail. All of my girls are only 7.5 months old. MY BR is NOT a good layer I may get a few eggs on a weekly basis, 40% of those soft shell, my BA lays about 4 times per week and my SS hasn't even started. I'm also thinking I will not get any more BR in the future. Besides that she's not a very nice chicken :(, sort of the bully of the bunch...

She may have reproductive problems. Or she may just be a br. Being 7 months she shouldn't be laying softys. I'd increase her calcium. As far as not being nice I think that's a br thing. Most of mine are not friendly to me without treats and are bossy and pushy with the other hens. But they do a good job keeping everyone in line. My oldest is 4 year in the spring and she sits on the roost and hollars until everyone is in the coop at night. And if they dont come in in a timely manner she will go out and hollar in the yard until I go round them up.

Wow, I thought BRs were the be-all end-all of layers! :-o My two (originally 4) are wonderful with people but absolutely rotten to the other chickens--definitely bullies, the lot of them. =( As for the laying, until now, they were good about laying every or at least every other day. Hubby's been calling them freeloaders. ;)

Anyone have personal experience on Cream Legbars? Mollie is definitely NOT a cuddlebug, despite being half Silkie, but this whole enterprise is hinged on Gramps getting eggs. *sigh* We have a couch roo and a fat Brahma girl outside when we need chicken snuggles. If Legbars don't beat the poo out of each other and are half as dependable as Mol, we changin' DNA over here... ;)

Back
Top Bottom