Nocturnal Chicken??

RosaJ

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
Is there such a thing as a nocturnal chicken?? HAHA!! I have one 3 yr. old hen that seems fine in every way, but she loves to sleep during the day time! She eats & drinks well, her poo is fine, she lays eggs. She seems sleepy all day, but then come evening, she seems wide awake! As silly as it sounds, is it possible to have a nocturnal chicken? :p

I have a flock of 60. We are in Fairbanks AK, it gets very cold -40 here, so my chickens actually have their hen house in the basement. Plenty of space, good ventilation, lots of roosts, and when the timer turns out the lights, it’s is coal black in their pen. I have seen a lot of speculation on this thread and others on here, regarding “nocturnal” chickens. I’m here to tell ya, half of mine are. They are all pure bred, (BLRW, LO, SS, fayoumis, SF and Cochins) and young. Hatched and raised by me. No red lights, no light at all. But they do their thing all night. I can hear them, they eat, drink, peck and hop on and off the roosts and into nest boxes. I have had chickens all my life, and I’ve never had chickens that did more than rustle after dark.

If I do not kick mine off the porch they have their night life under the lights. The roosters never sleep they crow all night, but that lets me know all is well. I sleep better knowing those guys are on the job. My feral fought us after I changed out the lights near her tree roost, to a daylight variety with dusk to dawn sensors. 3 weeks of porch railing eviction and she is finally settled back in her tree.

Back
Top Bottom