Nocturnal Predators - The Final Solution

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OldGuy43, Nov 25, 2015.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last spring we had a problem with a nocturnal predator that was beheading our birds. It would take away the head, but nothing else. We tried everything; traps, sitting up all night with a shotgun, loud noise, but nothing worked. Our flock was reduced by about 90%. Finally it dawned on me. Take the s.o.b. out of its comfort zone. We bought one of these, and set it up in the pen;

[​IMG]

500 watts of light on a timer. Problem solved! We only use one of the lights at a time that way if one burns out we just turn the other on. The light has no effect on the girls laying or our electric bill. Winner! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    I am sorry to hear about you loss and am glad to hear you have found a solution.
    How long have you been running this light and did you determine what the predator is?

3. OldGuy43

About 9 months with no further problems from the first night. (The predator was hitting us almost every night. [​IMG])

Never did for sure, but I'm thinking skunk.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  4. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I vote for a raccoon, but are you leaving this light on all night?

5. OldGuy43

Sunset to sunrise.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you manage to run a 500 watt light for free?? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'd think a locked coop at night or predator proof run would be less expensive in the long run in lieu of running halide construction light every night.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Glad I don't live next door..hahaha!

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I am thinking an owl. If repeats with failure of light then tie a headless carcass down to see how predator treats it. If like my situation, you will find owl will leave other birds alone so long as carcass killed previously is still accessible and edible. Once carcass largely consumed owl will pack it off and possibly skip a night before coming back. If you keep pulling the freshly killed birds, that can actually result in more deathloss before problem is corrected.

I am not a fan of the flood lights because they do not get along with high humidity. In my experience they also require some wattage to run.

10. OldGuy43

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by