Noises roosters make.. a question about meaning

Well all day while I am at work he is in the pen with the others. I made a special, separate area just for him inside the pen. My other two roos and he fight through the wire. It really scares my hen. I feel bad for her and I am planning on either raising babies from her or getting some more hens this spring. Im a teacher and so I have summer to deal with whatever happens as a result. Unfortunately Chickie, my pet roo, just doesnt seem to like anything with feathers.

Quote:
Cool, that is so informative and sort of makes sense. When I stick my head into the garage to say good nite to CHickie I bet it scares him and I obviously am on the ground.

Quote:
Cool, that is so informative and sort of makes sense. When I stick my head into the garage to say good nite to CHickie I bet it scares him and I obviously am on the ground.

I spend alot of time watching them, it becomes scary to my family, as I'm sure it is.
lol.png
It's very interesting watching them, though. A different language altogether. I have a book that give some general insight on chicken noises in one of the chapters, but one learns best from observing. We had alot of whining and 'hawking' (screechy sounds) today. Lots of birds in the sky. I've heard so much of it I'm sure I'll be hearing this all in my dreams!
wink.png

If you're worried about your chook, maybe make a familiar sound before entering. He'll most likely still do this noise-making because you're 'making a sound out of nowhere' and entering his 'home'. It's totally normal. Try picturing waking up in your bedroom and hearing someone walking around in the house. You know no one's supposed to be home. So, instinctively, you'll say, "Who's there?" Same thing with the roo. He's almost warning himself with your presence.

Haha, sorry for the creepy cinario.
gig.gif

Backyard Poultry magazine has had two recent articles about chicken vocalizations and what they mean.
The most recent was in their February/March, 2009 issue. I just checked their website and it's not one of the articles you can read online, but it was very interesting. Maybe you can find someone that has a copy to share.

Can someone tell me why my silkies make the "I laid an egg sound"

Even the roos do it..Is this when they are scared? Or warning of somthing?

They do it most offten when a dog comes around 1 will start and the rest will chime in.

This informations is all great and the questions others have associated with mine. I did find one site that demonstrated audibly a few of the sounds chickens make and the supposed reason behind their occurance. Although reading an article on the subject would be interesting, without the actual sound accompaniment Im not sure how valuable.

Quote:
I don't know about that particular sound, but it might be a lonely sound. Did I read correctly that you have 3 roos and 1 hen?

If that's the case, I would highly recommend getting more hens. The usual ratio reccommended is 10 hens per roo. You might be able to trade the roos for more hens?

If I read wrong,
hide.gif
!

no, you are correct. When i got found Chickie I was not in a position to start chicken farming so I raised him myself for two months. Everyone was convinced he was a she so I got him a rooster mate. Well "she' turned out to be a he and the two roos started fighting (no hens at this point). I had to separate them and once again Chickie was with me. Poor lonely Roo (my acquired roosted) needed companionship so I got what I thought was two hen for him. Well one of the hens turned out to be a rooster also. I love them all and this spring I hope Mama (my only hen) will go broody and hatch me some more females. I really dont want to take a chance of introducing any illness into my currently very healthy flock. Too of the roos and the hen seem to get along fine it is just Chickie who has issues with any feathered-friends. Im not sure he will ever be able to be with other chickens. He is so mean to them. Quite honestly, based on the area that I found him, I am pretty certain he was bread for cock-fighting.

Back
Top Bottom