noisey leghorns????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leghorns_rule, Jul 31, 2007.

1. leghorns_rule

leghorns_rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    syr New york
    iv read that they are a noisey bread but iv neaver had them. dose eny one own them and can they tell me about their noise leval

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    I had a couple several years ago. They made normal chicken noises. There are probably quieter breeds.
    My leghorns were real "flighty", nervous, you know. That might have been me. I've had other breeds that were much easier to handle.
    Leghorns are egg making birds though. Maybe you could sell the extra eggs for some cash in your pocket![​IMG]

3. leghorns_rule

leghorns_rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    syr New york
    Quote:yea that b nice

4. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    My Leghorns are pretty quite. They are nervous and are flighty though. They lay great which makes up for their wild behavior.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My leghorns are the most uncontrollable flighty things in the world. Sure do lay like crazy though for the first few years of their lives. Are you sure you want leghorns??? They look pretty good till they get all dirty from dust bathing or till it rains.

6. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    My leghorn is probibly my quitess chicken. She is sort of ruff with the other chick though.

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We have two leghorn hens 15 weeks old and we love ‘em. They are so adventurous! Always the first to try new things. I think if it weren’t for them the others would still be sitting in the coop wondering how to go out and free range.

As for noise, they are quiet. Just the usual 'bok bok.'

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have 4 leghorns, all very nervous and flighty.

1 is super quiet, she only peeps like a chick until you catch her, then she is very noisey for a few seconds.

1 is just like my other breeds, normal chicken noises.

2 are the noisiest in my whole flock, you can look at them and it will set them off.

I wouldn't suggest leghorns if you have neighbors living close.

They are pretty heavy layers, but my Rhode Island Reds have them beat for production.[​IMG]

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    leghorns from what i have heard are flighty and nervous. I'm sure southern28chick will tell you that she has ideal 236's. she says that those are the most affectionate birds she has. (ideal made their own leghorn breed thing)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by