Noisiest Chickens EVER!

I had Ancona hens that were so obnoxious about EVERYTHING that I got rid of them. They were noisier than ALL my roosters
roll.png
I loved the huge eggs everyday but the noise they made was horrible, and before the neighbors complained I got rid of them.

I must be lucky.I hear a squawk every once in a while,thats about it during the day.I do have one thats trying to crow in the morning and makes me laugh.He is getting better.
lol.png
lol.png
I think of chickens like kids or pets.They will take advange of you if you let them.Basic nature!!! I'm retraining mine as we speak to go into a new coop.This should be fun.Kevin
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

:: chuckles :: I have a Araucana that is the chattiest bird ever but she is only chatty when she sees me. As soon as I get close to the coop, she starts bokking. One time I made the mistake of taking an egg from her that she just laid. Let's just say she made it very clear that it was very uncool for me to to that. I could hear her from inside the house with all the windows closed.
roll.png

I am surprised I didn't get a complaint. She better be glad she is a reliable layer.....
smack.gif

One rooster I have purrs, chuckles, makes very loud WOOOOOOH noises and generally chatters on constantly. He only stops when he crows....and he is then very loud. He's an Ixworth....a breed to be avoided if you live in a town!

I swear that my hens must be competing with one another for the title of most obnoxious chicken. Every morning, between 5:30 and 6:00 am (while still locked safely in their nice, dark coop) the bastards start bokking...not because they've laid an egg, but because they want to be annoying. So, every morning, I stumble out to open their coop to let them out and hush them. The peace generally lasts for an hour or so, then racket returns until I take them a treat in the form of corn/scratch/leftover people food. Apparently neither of their two feeders is good enough in the morning and they require gourmet breakfasts daily...I'd like to add that the naughty critters put themselves to bed by 6:00pm, regardless of how bright and sunshiny it still is.

I have no clue if this is a behavior that can be modified...it's stemming from our two older girls (born in April 2010 ) and if the younger girls (Dec 2010) jump on board regularly, I am positive the neighbors will complain (and I don't blame them!). We keep chickens semi-legally, as city limits allow them, but our HOA CC&Rs do not. If anybody has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm ready to stew the troublemakers!

Thanks in advance for any input
smile.png

Stacy
Hi Stacy - 9 years later than your post. My hens are noisy during egg laying season as are many other hens apparently. Four hens have access to any of our 6 nest boxes but enjoy arguing over one - even sitting 2 to a box with a 3rd one standing nearby waiting. Sometimes they cluck far away from the nest box. I don't get it. I, like many here, make a loud noise, like slamming a window, or go outside with left over treats, to distract them. Seems from all these posts we're not alone.

Back
Top Bottom