Noisy Barred Rock

Francina

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Atlanta
I have a 8 month old Barred Rock hen who is the most loquacious chicken I've ever known. She talks loudly at whoever is in the yard and is obviously the boss hen, even pushing the rooster around. I wondered if being talkative is something that is common with this particular breed and if anyone else has experienced it.

My 2 BR hens are pretty quiet. Maybe you're just lucky? LOL! I think my RIR are the noisiest. Especially when laying! My BR barely sing the Egg Song, but you can hear the RIR from 10 acres away!

Shelly

Almost forgot!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Mine are pretty quiet except on occasion, when Lexie gets wound up and does her woody-woodpecker cackle for 20 minutes at a time. My loudest hen by far is a Delaware named Maxie. She wails, moos, does peacock calls, etc, for hours during the day. She stretches her neck out to get more volume, too. And there seems to be no reason for it, unless she is trying to crow like the roosters. It's really bizarre! The other Dels are very quiet, though.

I have one barred rock. We were kind of worried about her since she was the only one of her kind (packing peanut) and there were at least 4 of all the other breeds. However, she is the most talkative, she's also at the top of the pecking order. Where my roost attaches to the wall on one side is about an 8" piece of 2X4, that's where SHE and only she roosts. It rests about an extra 6" above the top roost. It's actually rather funny.

My gorgeous BR named Boo died last year from a brazen daytime coon attack
sad.png
Fantastic flock leader tho...got all her girls to safelty and defended them agasint the coon until we got out there a min later. She was the head hen, and she was LOUD!!!

Good lord she could squawk.

Bawking at the top of her lungs over everything.... my goodness. She had an entire repetoire of noises she would make, from a drawn out rusty sounding "BRAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWK" to something that sounded like she was being choked to death when she trioed to sing her egg song. It was always something coming out of her mouth at all times of day. Grumbles, mutters <loudly> squawks and what not...she was NEVER quiet!! She didnt have a good singing voice lol We used to laugh and tease her about losing American Idol and being shown on the bloopers...

Noisest little thing I have ever heard. She was a good girl tho...I still miss her to this day. But my goodness she was a loud mouth!!! My husband used to threaten to find some WD40 to loosen her up she sounded so bad lol

We have a White Rock now and it looks like she will be similar in personality. She seems a little quieter tho...but she hasnt gotten the adult cluicks in yet so it remains to be seen.

I have 3 BR, 3 RIR, 3 black sex links, and 6 EEs. One of my BR is so LOUD. She squawks, coos, sings all the time. Funny how some of the posts say their loudest is the alpha hen b/c my particular BR is the smallest of the bunch. Can the smallest hen still be the top 'dog'?

Our 20 wk old Barred Rock hen, Mary-Anne, sounds exactly the same as yours - she is so talkative and makes such a weird variety of sounds. She is also a very social girl, especially compared to our 2 Chantecler hens who are not social at all. Mary-Anne will run up to see me when I come into the yard and follow me around. She is a riot.

lau.gif
Oh yes Boo would be first one to greet me, first one to investigate anything new, first one to tell me about her day while following me around the coop lol

All at the top of her little chicken lungs...its been sooooo quiet since she passed
idunno.gif

Wow. It's been interesting reading the responses. I guess it is a breed thing. My BR, Judge Judy, is very verbal, makes a large variety of noises, and "talks" to me the whole time I'm in the yard. And when I'm not there, I can hear her talking at anyone else who will listen.

Back
Top Bottom