Noisy Buttons!

LynnA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 13, 2011
Okay, I have tried everything! My wonderful cbbq's are housed in my spare room. They are happy, flighty space cases with nothing better to do than plot escapes and toss bedding into their waterer.
smile.png
They are on the highest protein unmedicated chick starter I can find, supplemented with boiled egg, sprouts and other goodies. They lay sporatically, which is to be expected when we only have 8 hours of sunshine.
Now, my problem is this...the little boogers call ALL night! About every hour or so...someone will start crowing, and it escalates into several of them chittering and they aren't quiet! This would be amusing except I get up at 4 am and work 12 to 14 hour days. I have them in a dark room. I have covered the cages. I even moved the baby cage into another room in case they were talking to the kids.
Any sugestions?? Any at all??
Also, I have been separating them into pairs, is it possible they aren't happy with my choices? It seems they are getting noisier as I separate. The pen with 7 is quieter and snugglier together than the pairs seem to be. Should I toss them all back together and see what plays out? Perhaps they aren't happy with who they got stuck with? *lol* Hey! Its possible!
lol.png

Any help would be much appreciated!

Lynn

How old are they?
if the males are "crowing" then i would just give them time to "bond" with there mates.
once they are settled and bonded with there mate they are pretty dang quiet (unless youve got a bachelor somewhere he'll get everyone going!)
rember also that females mature much slower then the males do so the males are going to be corting for quite sometimes before the ladys allow anything to happen.

most males seem ready to go by 8 weeks hile some ladies are not untill 15 weeks learned this the hard way when a few males were too pushy with a few females and they all had to be seperated untill she reached 15 weeks

Lynn...
What kind of noises are they making? Does it sound like a growl? My son says the crow sounds like a hawk, so we named our first male "Hawk" lol...

Or does is sound like .... they are trying to wolf whistle? Mine make noise in the evening that sounds kinda like wooot woo woo..

I just giggle, I love the sounds, but I can see where they may bother someone who needs to get up early.
wink.png

Don't know much about cbbq's but I thought I read somewhere on here that they are normally housed in pairs (1-male, 1-female) ?

These guys are young, just starting to lay the odd egg, and I have been separating them into like colored pairs. So its the girls who are keeping things riled up? They seemed so quiet and mannerly...
wink.png
There is one bachelor waiting on the next group of youngsters so its entirely possible he is heart broken and lonely...just what I need to keep the rest in an uproar I guess *lol* The calls start out with the wind blowing crow, then end off with a series of single high calls...pew...pew...pew...and that one can go on for quite some time. Then they will start with that chattering that sounds like a wolf whistle...its fun to listen to during the day, but at 2 am...3 am...etc...its not quite so much fun. And it does seem to go on the hour quite consistently. I will keep my door closed, and their door closed and hope for the best! *lol*
I must be addicted, am willing to lose sleep over my babies!

Lynn

It's the lonely roo that is causing the uproar. I'm new to buttons...I mean cbbq, but they follow coturnix standard for the most part. Lonely roos crow, and no crow shall go unanswered.

You will always get the seemingly random crow from time to time, but after that, they all want to have the last word. Just thank your lucky stars you are raising buttons not coturnix, because cots are much louder.

Pair up your lonely roo, even if the colors don't match, or get used to the crowing. It kinda comes with the territory
smile.png

When you have a bunch of cbbq and then they see the feed bucket they will give you an uproar whether single or not!
smile.png

Shelley is on the phone with me at times and boys are pew pew pewing at me always. Sometimes it's an attention getter, like the coturnix "look at me" sound :p

Quote:
HAHA the other day my mom called the bank to ask about her account just before they got off the phone the teller said "WAIT!" my mom said it startled her and goes "yes?" the teller said "whats making that noise over there?"

LOL

Mine call all night long, but more so if it is completely dark. Try putting a nite-lite in the room with them and see if that doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom