Noisy calls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ajlynco, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I've been told that call ducks are noisy and wouldn't be a good breed foran intown backyard operation. Can I get some input from the BYCers?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Yes! They are SUPER noisey!

3. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    the drakes are fine, my hens are as loud as a rooster.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, my goodness are the girls loud! VERY loud. They ain't called "call" ducks fer nuthin'!

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Call ducks were bred for their loud voices. They used to be kept to be used as bait by hunters- they would be put out in the area they were hunting to 'call in' the wild ducks. This practice is now illegal, but that was the origin of the call duck as I have heard it.

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Here is an angry little Doog quacking on the quieter end of the call duckibell scale [​IMG]

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    That said, you can always enjoy a quiet group of Calls with a bachelor group of drakes. They can get along quite well without females to fight over, and it is usually quite easy to find someone who has extra drakes to sell.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Doog is adorable. [​IMG]
    And that is VERY quiet for a Call hen. Plus, it goes on and on and on...until you figure out what they want.
    The drakes are very quiet and just as cute and cuddly as the hens. [​IMG]

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    I have like 45 female call ducks and the first neighbor said something the other day as to what in the heck i am raising now.....I said ducks LOL...payback for her two yapping Chihuahuas.....Oh my good lord those things dont give it a rest. stand on the corner of the property the whole time i am feeding my animals and just yap yap yap. and the owners are too dim witted to bring them inside. Thankfully the call duck riots with excitement at feeding and water and it drowns out the neighbors dogs. They will get very loud and excited when they see you (atleast they do with me) because they recognize me as treat man...and fresh bath time. [​IMG]

Here is one of the louder ones in particular....but once one goes off they all go off. keep in mind i have a flock of like 75 birds

[​IMG]

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:She's adorable. Those little White hens are my loudest ones as well and always get the "Quacker Symphony" started.
    You have some real beauties there.
    Kudos on your adorable plan for revenge on your neighbors! Very diabolical-noone would suspect precious little Call ducks of being involved. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by