Noisy chickens

Wormhunter

Songster
May 8, 2020
Can anyone help, two of my hens (I have a flock of 7) are VERY noisy, they are definitely hens and lay most days, they are low to middle in pecking order and are a typical ‘red hen’
The issue I have is their constant screeching, hollering and being loud, any time they are in the pen they are so noisy, from sun up to dark if they are in the pen they are very loud,
The hens all announce when they have laid an egg but this racket is something else!
The only way to have quieter clucking is open the pen and let them out which is not always convenient, any ideas?

Can anyone help, two of my hens (I have a flock of 7) are VERY noisy, they are definitely hens and lay most days, they are low to middle in pecking order and are a typical ‘red hen’
The issue I have is their constant screeching, hollering and being loud, any time they are in the pen they are so noisy, from sun up to dark if they are in the pen they are very loud,
The hens all announce when they have laid an egg but this racket is something else!
The only way to have quieter clucking is open the pen and let them out which is not always convenient, any ideas?
Perfectly normal chicken noises.

That's typical chicken behavior. If you live in a neighborhood where they're not allowed.... I don't think cones exist. Others might hate my answer. I'm first to answer it but hopefully a bigger expert comes and weighs in.

Thank you Jane we, when you say ‘typical’ do you mean that chickens make lots of noises? I thought they just clucked!! Excuse the ignorance it’s just that in all of tv programmes I’ve only heard roosters loudly sqwarking!
the area here in the uk is rural but the pair are pretty loud early in the morning or when we return home after they have all been in their pen for a couple of hours you can hear the scratching up the road!!

All chickens are individuals and some are very quiet while others are noisy. Unfortunately this:

they've been training you to let them out, because you're rewarding them for making a racket.

Sounds like typical chicken behavior. Some of my girls will throw a very vocal fit when they can't free-range.

Back
Top Bottom