Noisy Cochins

Our two cochins are loud, chatty hens. They fuss, and carry on, and doesn't seem to matter when. The friend who gave them to us told me that sometimes hens are louder than roosters. We gave her back the gorgeous spangled hamburg rooster she had given us (since he turned out to be a rooster), but now I'm thinking the 2 cochins make more noise than the sweet rooster! He only crowed several times a day.

Our barred rock hen, on the other hand, doesn't make a peep and hopefully will be a great layer come October!

My neighbors get a kick out of us keeping chickens, but I am always paranoid about the noise since our common fence is one of the run walls. So far, no complaints about all of the chicken clucking! And at the same time, we have a lot more noise coming from yard work (blowers, lawn mowers) in the neighboring yards, so I guess I shouldn't be so worried.
smile.png

Tracey

My Cochins are also chatty but for me that is part of what makes them so cute. They really are sweet little birds.

That just goes to show how different birds of the same breed can be. I have two BR hens and only the one cackles and gets loud!

My one BR lays an egg a day with very few days off, the other one takes a lot of time off from the business of laying.

If I recall RussC you have 5 hens? With 450Sq ft of space they should be happy!

They Should be happy. They have everything I can think of that a chicken would want and money can buy!

Back
Top Bottom