Noisy Coturnix chick

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rskemp, Aug 4, 2014.

1. rskemp

rskemp New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi all,

I'm very new to quail and have just hatched my first brood. I've noticed that one of my quail (I have 9 which are 9 days old) is very noisy! He/she goes up to the side of the brooder closest to us and just squeaks! She/he stops when I say "be quiet" loudly or if I pick said quail up... Any ideas why? He/she is now named 'squeak'!

Thank you :)

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They do that when they are have lost a hatch mate amongst the crowd. They develop little groups and they can't see very far so when they lose a buddy they peep. Or when they want food, or water, or for no reason sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it as long at its healthy.

3. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    I have my brooder beside my incubator and have had the chicks walk up to the incubator side peeping like are still talking to the unhatched eggs. That's always funny and annoys the wife. Had to move incubator and all to the garage now. [​IMG]

4. bobwhitequails

bobwhitequails Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    The chick is probably just unhappy with something. He might be too hot. Also make sure he is drinking and eating properly. You could just have a vocal quail!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by