Noisy hen driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jersey Girl, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Why does my Royal Palm hen wander around the property calling incessantly? She has her son for a companion/mate but she did the same when his father was alive...I'm thinking she's looking for a nesting site because it's escalated lately, but she's basically done it all along. She is about to get beheaded if she won't stop (sorry if I offend anyone ~ )

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Some things don't have answers. You are considering a permanent solution to possibly a temporary problem.
    [​IMG]

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

4. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Perhaps she was meant to be a dominant hen and you have no other hens for her to boss around and she's just vocally grumping about it. LOL

5. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Some are just made that way.
    I have had a couple over the years that did that.
    They drive you crazy.
    I ate them.

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't have experience with Turkey hens at the point of lay other than last year when a wild hen showed up on our property, I noticed an hour or so before she would lay an egg she would get very loud walking all over the property. Is the hen in question laying eggs yet? does the noise go on all day or at specific intervals? I have two BR Jennies that are 8.5 months old, I have just noticed if they are separated from each other or the male they will call loudly back and forth, sometimes it last a few min sometimes longer. I guess its what we personally can tolerate, I love my Jennies songs, my chicken hens get very noisy before and after they lay and although they are at the back of our acre property I can hear them clearly. I love the songs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by