Noisy Hen Problems -Update

Monetta,

I recently re-homed my girls because of their normal chatter. The egg song was waking up my son who works nights.
sad.png
You will find that it is very normal for a type of egg song when they see another hen in the nest (they get excited about it) or when they feel threatened. Also it's my observation from raising day olds that when they get close to egg laying they are much more flighty and talkative. They will settle down after they start laying... however, the egg song stays. I really miss my girls.. miss the daily egg count.. I miss knowing which egg is from which girl. I will get chickens again in the future (when son moves out) but until then I am planning on getting ducks. They are quieter than chickens and do lay eggs.. some lay as much as the best egg laying hens.

I wish you luck..

Susan

I feel your pain, Monetta. I recently had to rehome one of my bantams for being too loud. She was a tiny thing with huge lung capacity...All my neighbors like the chickens, but it only takes one crabby neighbor a block away to complain and my urban chicken raising could come to an end. I did research since then and picked a few breeds known to be very quiet and docile so we'll see what happens when they start to lay.
Feathersnuggles, you are so right about "normal" neighborhood noise. Unruly dogs barking for 20 minutes or more or children screaming at the top of their lungs. I would never dream of complaining- it's the price to be paid for living around other people. I'd love to live in the country with only ours and nature's noise, but I'm afraid I'd never be able to re-enter society again!
Good luck with your hens.

Out of 17 birds - 9 various breeds of chickens and 4 sweet bantams and 4 ducks. I have a female duck that is so loud and so noisy constantly....all the rest are quiet. Depends on the birds.....If there were to be a complaint it would be because of my duck, she just never shut's up.

I used to have a problem with my hens but then I realized Hitlers SS soldiers were marching upon my little Bavarian village. I had bigger fish to fry.....

Back
Top Bottom