Noisy hen!

The problem is,we want them for eggs and he's such a friendly chicken I don't just want to get rid of him. We got him from this breeder who would happily take him back and give us a new chicken

If this is your first time raising chickens, I'd suggytaking him back to the breeder and either get your money back or get another pullet (or two preferably) or get your money back. The problem with getting more birds is then you have to deal with integrating them, and that can sometimes get ugly. You don't want a cockerel (rooster under 1 year of age) that is too "friendly". Oftentimes they become human aggressive as they reach sexual maturity. Not always, but there are plenty of posts out there about "sweet, friendly" roosters that became a nightmare. As Mrs. K says, roosters can be a crap shoot.

Also, 1 to 2 is not considered a good rooster to hen ratio. 1 to 6, or 8, or even 10 is recommended. Many many BYC forums discuss this in depth....Good luck!
Sue

(chicken on the left) Is this girl also a guy?

If it's the same breed and age as the one behind it, I would say yes. Look at the difference in the comb and wattles. Also, look at the feathers. Are the feathers around the bottom of his neck and on his back toward the tail narrower and more pointy than those of the other one? Look at the difference in the tail feathers, too. They appear to be longer and have more of a curve.

On the bright side, you can take them both back and replace them with two girls. It's a bit easier to integrate more than one chicken at a time. There is still likely to be drama, but at least it's not all directed at one lone chicken.

At least the breeder will take them back. I have yet to find anyone locally that will do that here.

I would take them back and get some pullets. Buying a little bit older pullets at least you know you are getting girls. :)

I have six that look just like that and have all started laying, so no roosters.
One is very noisy, more of a scream/squawk, starts about 6 am. I am afraid she is going to break the windows or the neighbors will wring both our necks.
She is the friendliest of the flock, hate to have to re-home her to the country.

Back
Top Bottom