1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noisy hens at night time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cristina, Jan 8, 2012.

1. cristina

cristina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    We just got back from a movie (1 am) and came to find our hens not only awake but making noise and wandering around their run - this has NEVER happened. They are always in a row walking up their ramp into their coop at dusk and no matter how much noise we make bringing in the garbage, etc, they don't wake up and come out. BUt tonight they are wandering around. What could the reason be? We are thinking that perhaps an animal came by and scared them but could a predator come and not harm them? It's too dark to see if any one of them are hurt, and other than their uncharacteristic noise-making and wandering at night, they seem ok. Any experienced speculations?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Chickens can not see at all in the dark. For them to up and move around something must of scared them. I would take a flash light and go outside and see if there was a predator stalking them. Hope they are alright.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've had chickens come out in the dark, and walk from the coop up to the house.

In your case could there be something in the coop scaring them?

Imp

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Very likely the case! When my birds make any sounds other than crowing at night, I am out there with dogs and flashlight to see what it going on.

5. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    i think they got scared by a predator.

i experienced that too, and when i came to see them...

it's too late. a huge rodent got my silkie. [​IMG]

6. AWW blue... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:thanks 4 ur sympathy. i really miss him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by