Something you saw a chicken do that made you stop and say, WHAT The Hell?

South Dakota Guy

Songster
Feb 22, 2023
South Dakota
My Coop
My Coop
Little bit of background here, my wife is the main chicken keeper, I am just support staff. It's ok as I like it this way. We are still very new at this as we have only been chicken raising for about 10 months. Anyhow, we had some mean girls. A group of three gold laced Wyandotte hens that have exercised a reign of tyranny over three silver laced Wyandotte hens since they arrived about 8 months ago. My wife picked up two Delaware pullets around 5 months old last week from a local chicken grower. These were the calmest chickens we have ever seen and they allowed us to handle them even though they haven't experienced much handing by humans. After patching up another GLW from an attack by different GLW, I suggested to my wife that she might want to replace the mean girls. Two hours later those mean girls were at an organic produce farm where they will live out their lives eating bugs and making fertilizer. My wife promptly went back to her chicken grower and purchased two more Delaware pullets of similar age.
Which brings us to what I saw two nights in a row from one of the new Delaware pullets/hens. After only being here two days, on the third night the three SLW hens were sitting on an outside roost. The SLW hens are very subdued, the mean girls are gone but now these really big white chickens have taken over. As it was getting dark and the Delaware hens had all gone into the coop for the night, one of the Delaware hens, (hereafter known as Big Momma), came out of the coop and nudged the SLW hens off of the roost, one by one, and herded them into the coop. My wife and I couldn't believe it. After it happened again the next night, we knew Big Momma was a keeper even if she never lays egg one. As we can't have a rooster where we live, a dominant, but not mean hen, will mean so much for our little flock.
I would love to hear about cool and amazing chicken things that you might have observed.

The first time I saw this.... I still get a chuckle everytime, but now I just ask " Is today the day, buddy?"
IMG_20230701_131127.jpg

So both of those were so great. My mom has a rooster who will be in her egg boxes too! And, more than once (esp when I first had chickens) I have checked on a hen when she was sunbathing just to make sure she wasn't dead!

So my story isn't as cute as bizarre. I have a group of mixed breed bantams (Serama/Silkie/cochin). One of the hens I've had for almost three seasons now. I saw he "mount" one of the hens this fall. No, I don't mean jumping and pulling at her comb to bully her, I mean true "covering" behavior! I have seen some other cute and bizarre things, but this one takes the prize!

my rooster almost never breeds, because he does this little " wings outstretched aggressive spin" thing, some kind of mating ritual, but by the time he's done running in circles, the girl already left!😆

I also still have my meat rooster (I know, he is too aggressive, but he's literally not worth the time it would take to butcher and roast him😒). he tries to breed, but he is so uncoordinated, he just awkwardly kicks/ steps on the hens, in a futile attempt to assert his dominance.

My rooster sometimes tries mating with our chickens, There is just one that he just can never have any luck with, he does this little wing flap and just dashes straight at it while walking all funny like he is dancing while running, and when he finally reaches the chicken he wants to mate with he stops, dances, and stretches his wings and mates with the chicken, but whenever he tries mating with one specific chicken she just dashes away like a looney toons character.

For me it's when THEY stop and say "what the hell." When 13 chickens are out foraging and all of a sudden they just freeze, it's still so interesting to me. Clearly they have heard a flying predator or something on the river but it's really like life just stopped for a few minutes. Then they go back to normal movement. I think there is a really funny you tube video that a person took of this happening.

Back
Top Bottom