What is this chick doing??

sunshinesnuggles

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
NW Washington
I just (as in a few hours ago) got a little three day old Wyandotte to join my little chick flock of a week old EE and a threeish week old Speckled Sussex. Not sure if the age difference advisable, I've never had chicks of different ages before but the SS is gentle with the little ones and they haven't had any issues. Anyway, everyone was doing fine for a bit, but the Wyandotte is now very intent on jumping on top of the SS (who is much bigger than she is!!). She's done it four times in the past couple of minutes. She just slides off the SS's back and tumbles to the ground, which is a little concerning to watch but she seems unbothered. She's started doing it to the EE as well.
My question is, is this three day old supposed to be pullet that just lost her egg tooth really mounting my other chicks, or is she just trying to assert dominance (which is kind of hilarious, since she's tiny even for a chick her age)? I know that Wyandottes tend to be more dominant, my GLW is the head of my little flock of big hens, so I'm really hoping that she's just being a bossy little baby since I can't keep a rooster.
She also likes to scream, I thought the little EE was vocal but she will screech at top volume very high pitched for no reason. I read that Wyandottes are supposed to be quiet and my GLW is, but clearly not this girl! Hopefully she'll stop doing it once she gets settled in, it hurts my ears :hmm

Sounds to me like a chick trying to jump on what she perceives to be its mum's back
lol as I went to respond, the Wyandotte and EE cuddled up under the SS like baby chicks under their mom. That's interesting that they do that too, and thanks for your help! I've started to put her under the heat plate when she does that to help her figure out how to get warm like I did with the EE, and now she hardly ever tucks under the SS anymore so hopefully the Wyandotte catches on too.

That is so cute
lol as I went to respond, the Wyandotte and EE cuddled up under the SS like baby chicks under their mom. That's interesting that they do that too, and thanks for your help! I've started to put her under the heat plate when she does that to help her figure out how to get warm like I did with the EE, and now she hardly ever tucks under the SS anymore so hopefully the Wyandotte catches on too.

Back
Top Bottom