Noisy, mean, nasty hen. Need help

natsum1978

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Lakewood CA
I have 4 RIR's and 1 EE. The EE used to be the boss but since she went broody a week ago one of the RIR's is really mean and nasty to her. When I can get her out of the nesting box the RIR chases, pecks, and steps on the EE. The RIR is also really loud. She yells and screams all morning and any time I go into the yard she comes to the door of the coop and yells at me. First question is how can I make her shut up? Second question is why is she so mean to my broody EE and how can I make her stop? I am ready to give that hen away and get another two pullets. I live in the city in California and my neighbors are not to happy about all the noise in the morning. I am aloud 5 hens here in Lakewood but I still don't want any negative attention. Should I give her away or can I make her quiet down some how. Thanks is advance.

Try a water gun and squirt her every time, until she stops pecking and squawking. If it doesn't stop or help-off with her head or rehome her to someone in the country.

That was kind of what I have been thinking. I have never butchered a chicken before but I am sure I could figure it out. I have been using a water gun on her to try and shut her up. It works for a few minutes but as soon as I go back into the house she starts right back up again.

Last edited:
Don't know if its the same but I had a nasty roo that was picking on the hens (they were all about 7 wks) and I pulled him out and isolated him for a few days.... that fixed his attitude quick!

A rooster may fix your problem, but since your limited on chickens I would trade, sale, or eat the hen. Then just replace her with another, it's to easy to find good chickens to put up with bad behavior.

Whenever I get one that's being nasty I let my 10 year old son have some "quality chicken time" as he calls it. He LOVES them! He'll carry them around, talk to them, snuggle them and basically just lovingly maul them. He never hurts them, he just snuggles them like they're his cat or something.
gig.gif

It seems like when he's done the bird in question always settles down and is nicer to the others, at least for a time. I don't know if it actually does anything but it makes my son happy and I feel some sort of sadistic satisfaction in watching Miss Bossy Bird at his mercy!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom