Non-Broody Breeds

I've raised Black Australorps for years and it seems to depend on the strain. I've purchased BA chicks from four different hatcheries and the ones from Cackle were the broodiest and the poorest layers as a result. The ones I've gotten from Dunlap Hatchery rarely go broody and some of them lay over 300 eggs per year. Ideal Poultry and Murray McMurray have been down the middle in both broodiness and egg production.

I guess I'll leave them off the list then.
Thanks for the info!!! =)

I thought Phoenix were broody? Cackle says very broody on there website but I have not had them. Imput anyone? Specifically on cackle

Last edited:
Helpful list. But I agree with Michael OShay, it often depends on the line. I had a black leghorn that was among the broodiest birds I had and raised a couple clutches for me each year.

I thought Phoenix were broody? Cackle says very broody on there website but I have not had them. I'm put anyone? Specifically on cackle

In doing research to find what breed of chicken I wanted to get into, I found that different hatcheries list the same breed at completely different levels of broodiness.
Murray rated New Hampshires as being not likely at all to brood and Meyer rated them as being broody ("Broodiness: Yes"; the same rating given to Cochin and other particularly broody breeds).

Helpful list. But I agree with Michael OShay, it often depends on the line. I had a black leghorn that was among the broodiest birds I had and raised a couple clutches for me each year.

Yes, broodiness is line-dependent.
As for a broody Leghorn, whatever the percentages are, there's always the possibility that any given Leghorn hen could be that one in more than a thousand that does go broody.

I found information that broodiness is actually affected by nature and nurture. Any given breed (or line of a breed) has a particular likelihood (percentage of probability) of going broody.
In addition to that, whether a chick is hatched and raised by a hen, as opposed to being hatched in an incubator and raised by a human, is shown to increase broodiness as well.

Back
Top Bottom