non fertile eggs & broody quail

Tikvah

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
I have 6 female quail. Over a week ago I noticed one was sitting on eggs. Initially I removed the eggs knowing they were infertile ( I don't have a male). However she is still sitting on eggs every day hers and others. She has become aggressive to other females and to me. What do I do, leave her to sit, remove the eggs daily or try to find her fertile eggs and hope she hatches. I could perhaps extend their accommodation so as to give her more space. Currently their space is more than is generally suggested is needed but still not enough to give her solitude. I cover the corners with fern branches and she currently is using one of these. She doesn't use the covered area. She is about 4 months old.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

You can just leave her there for 17-18 days. By then the natural incubation period is over and you would be more likely to make her stop by removing the eggs - and perhaps the fern branch as well. You could also give her fertile eggs, but I'd probably not attempt that now - I'd prepare for it by making it possible to easily separate the other quail and then I'd give her the fertile eggs within a few days of her going broody. You could also keep removing the eggs - eventually she should give up.

Back
Top Bottom