Non Flying Turkey does it exists?

It didn’t help that when the crew of 9 flew the coop onto the neighbors garbage cans they would come out and feed them. I felt bad which is why I got rid of them. I’m pretty sure them feeding wasn’t helping the problem really friendly birds. Just started looking pretty.
View attachment 2409449
@R2elk you can see no top bar to the fence it is however only 4’
I get by with a 6' fence. At 4' wing clipping won't help because they can hop right over the fence without any problem.

You are correct that your neighbor feeding them was a big part of the issue.

Where did your eggs or stock come from?
I got started with eggs from Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. If you want to get hatching eggs from them, you have to contact them via email. I don't believe they have been advertising hatching eggs for several years. He has been advertising day old poults at $18.99 each plus shipping with a minimum of 15 poults. He often has mixed varieties at much lower prices that can be used to fill out the required minimum.

The interesting part about Sweetgrass is that there is only one color gene difference between them and Royal Palms. If you need to diversify your bloodline, you can create additional Sweetgrass hens by breeding a Sweetgrass tom to Royal Palm hens. This cross will produce pure Sweetgrass hens and phenotypical Sweetgrass toms that are carrying a hidden recessive Narragansett gene. The Narragansett gene is a sex linked gene which the Royal Palm hens cannot pass on to their daughters. Keep the newly produced hens to add new bloodlines to your flock and eat the toms. Do not use any toms produced this way as part of your breeding flock. You cannot look at them at tell that they are carrying the Narragansett gene but they are.

You mean the fake midget whites? They may or may not exist depending on who you talk to. While they are supposed to have a broad breast, they can fly.. At least one person that I know of that got "Midget Whites" found that the ones he purchased did not meet the SOP requirements.

@Flashpoint supposedly has Midget Whites.
Fake Midget Whites or not - I wanted them as pet turkeys due to the inherent friendliness they exhibit. :D My original four Narragansetts always wanted to be close, the hens would steal anything I laid down; however, they were NOT lap turkeys. They do not want to even be touched. Even though they were hand raised from a couple of days old - they are still to this day - merely lurkers.

As to flying, the MW hens do even as adults. The toms did in the beginning as young birds, but once they were adults they stopped. The hens often perch - not only on top fence bars, but the camper, the sheds, and the house. The good thing is (and with very few exceptions), they stay within my perimeter 3-foot tall chainlink fence. Their actual runs consist of 8-foot tall hardware cloth in most places (complete with aprons) and with a net on top. However, they also free-range when I am outside.

Currently, I have 14 MW's. My 3 oldest toms are always close to me and the older hens will sit in my lap or in a chair next to me. I also have 6 Blue Slates, 3 Bourbon Reds, 1 tiny (midget) red bronze, and 4 Narragansett (lost my 2 original hens). The only one who purposely flies over my pen fences that do not have nets, is a young Narragansett jake named TT - because he believes his place is to be with me at all times. Other than the MW's, he is the ONLY turkey over 6 months of age that is super friendly, although the midget red bronze may do the same (2 1/2 months).

Tom Collins

collins.jpg

Digits and Mushroom (just sold Mushroom)

digits_mushroom.jpg

You mean the fake midget whites? They may or may not exist depending on who you talk to. While they are supposed to have a broad breast, they can fly.. At least one person that I know of that got "Midget Whites" found that the ones he purchased did not meet the SOP requirements.

@Flashpoint supposedly has Midget Whites.
There's an SOP?
I kind of dream of these, would love to raise smaller turkeys, if I had the space.

There's an SOP?
I kind of dream of these, would love to raise smaller turkeys, if I had the space.
A former member @JRNash bought Midget Whites and was trying to breed to the standard. If I remember correctly all of the ones he had ended being above the standard weight for the variety.

Back
Top Bottom