Non-food related ways to entertain chickens on ‘flockdown’ for avian flu

Grit will not prevent crop compaction. Grit is used in the gizzard to help grind stuff that needs grinding. The gizzard is further downstream than the crop. Grit can help minimize the risk of gizzard compaction, which can be a thing. Gizzard compaction can back up to the crop but that is not crop compaction. If they already have grit then adding more won't help.

Room, thing to perch on, things to scratch, all help. But just because they are not active do not assume they are unhappy. Just laying around taking life easy is a great pastime for them. Give them options and they will choose to do or not do what they want.

Grit will not prevent crop compaction. Grit is used in the gizzard to help grind stuff that needs grinding. The gizzard is further downstream than the crop. Grit can help minimize the risk of gizzard compaction, which can be a thing. Gizzard compaction can back up to the crop but that is not crop compaction. If they already have grit then adding more won't help.

Room, thing to perch on, things to scratch, all help. But just because they are not active do not assume they are unhappy. Just laying around taking life easy is a great pastime for them. Give them options and they will choose to do or not do what they want.
Grit is the ratchet that pulls fibrous materials into gizzard. The grit does the role you mentioned after material gets into gizzard. Not everyone supplies adequate grit.

I have found that interacting with them a lot really helps. I try to find 20-30min a day to pull a lawn chair into the run and sit with them. They take turns jumping up on my lap and being petted, and it gives me a chance to look them over as well. My roosters don't seem to see it as a threat because I'm just a piece of furniture and one of them still likes to snuggle into the crook of my arm. They look forward to it and get the zoomies when they see me drag out the pettin' chair.
If you don't typically like to handle them much playing some relaxing music for them seems to help as well!

Thank you all for your ideas. I found a wooden crate, which had been indoors away from wild birds, and propped that up and they were climbing on it right away. I will keep changing things around to entertain them.

My stepdad (70) did a great job of preparing their lockdown run this year and at least they have a bit of room I guess (the small coop is our ‘hospital’ and currently unused).

0EF854B7-CEAE-4BFB-9364-58E67749AF95.jpeg

Hello BYC friends! 👋🏻

As you probably know we’re on ‘flockdown’ for avian flu here in the U.K. but since it happened the last few winters, we were fairly well-prepared in terms of run space. Our flock has a roomy shed overnight (it’s really very spacious thankfully) and instead of being let out into our orchard they get access to a polytunnel which has wire mesh for the walls and a sort of tarp for a roof to keep wild bird droppings out. We have wood chip on the floor and the set-up is working great, but I’d LOVE your ideas to keep things interesting for the girls! I feel sorry for them really.

I give them foodie things for entertainment but am keen not to dilute their primary feed too much and would love some non-food ideas (they sometimes have an alfalfa and grit pecking block and right now they have some greens in a mini net which last them a while). Does anybody have any tried and tested ideas for things to make life a bit more interesting please? I’ve read about swings and ladders for example but I’m never sure if they would actually get used or if they add much to the chooks’ lives? Let’s be honest, food is their main interest 😂

A bale of straw perhaps? Some leaves?
Tambourines and xylophones

Back
Top Bottom